Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 12:18 PM

Default buy in being ante\'d away (stud 8b)

hey guys, i bought ray zees book, but while im waiting for it im playing games with my limited knowledge trying to learn a bit from experience.. im pretty much playing only the scoop hands, 3 low with 2 suited, or 3 low connectors or 1 gap, AAx x<=8 etc. but the antes in the .50/1 structure are very high (.25 cents) and my buy in often takes a beating before i even see a playable hand, should i be playing more hands with high antes? am i too tight? what are the good starting hands? thanks in advance
Old 07-28-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Re: buy in being ante\'d away (stud 8b)

You should immediately switch to the 1-2 limit where the ante is the same but is proportionally half that of 50c-1.00. You must play much looser in the bigger ante game, and that's not for beginners who haven't even read "the book."

al
Old 07-28-2004, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey guys, i bought ray zees book, but while im waiting for it im playing games with my limited knowledge trying to learn a bit from experience.. im pretty much playing only the scoop hands, 3 low with 2 suited, or 3 low connectors or 1 gap, AAx x<=8 etc. but the antes in the .50/1 structure are very high (.25 cents) and my buy in often takes a beating before i even see a playable hand, should i be playing more hands with high antes? am i too tight? what are the good starting hands? thanks in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

Loosen up a little. Play just a little tighter than the table. If you get the image of a rock you'll get no action with your made hands. It is probably this no action mode and the antes that are eating up your buy-in.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:42 PM

if u want to be selective, play the .50/1.00 on pstars which only has a .05 ante and .25 bring-in

if the ante is .25 you have to be a lot less selective in your starters... i'd probably play any 3-card low, 3-flushes with 2 babies, high pairs if they are higher than any upcard showing (but i'd try to knock people out with this kind of holding which sometimes is impossible in microlimit games), etc... and just ram and jam if u catch on 4th st

basically i would say take 4th st if you have anything decent...
Old 07-28-2004, 12:44 PM

btw the reason i suggest ramming on 4th st when you catch good is that even if you are less discriminating with your starters, you probably will still in general be starting off better than most of your opponents
Old 07-28-2004, 12:44 PM

dont have the BR for the 1/2 game yet, ok so your saying stay away from stud then till the book arrives? thats definately doable
Old 07-28-2004, 12:49 PM

im still turning a profit, but usually my buy in loses some weight before i start to play, ive seen 3 10 Kr 899 times in the last 1000 hands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] so i guess the general consensus is loosen up when antes are larger, which makes sense anyways, that or wait until i get the book tos tart playing heh
Old 07-28-2004, 01:24 PM

but the antes in the .50/1 structure are very high (.25 cents)

Play at 'Stars. The ante is either $0.05 or $0.10 at $0.50/$1.00.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:39 AM

Yes, the high ante structure calls for somewhat looser play, but don't get carried away with it. The bottom line is that you are still going to have to show down the best hand. Aces are usually playable with any old kicker. Kings I am less sure about. Don't throw a lot of money after second-best hand, and when you have an edge, make 'em pay.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:57 AM

I agree with Al, if you're going to play at party then def. switch to the 1-2. same clowns, lower ante. I found myself anteing to death in the .50-1.00 game as well.

--turnipmonster