Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Help with this PL omaha 8 hand

First hand of a tournament, start with 1,000 chips ( 100 people) and the blinds are (8/15). I am in the cutoff and dealt A,2,Q,Q ( Ace and queen are suited.) 4 limpers, and I decide to raise to 90. My thinking behind this is that my hand is strong, but vulnerable and want to play it shorthanded. I get three callers. Flop is K,Q,K. It is bet about 45 and called in one place. Im pretty sure he has the king but my I'm thinking that my boat is good here. If he has quads then he deserves my stack [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I raise to 265. It gets called and then re-raised. I pushin. Get called in two places. The raiser had A,K,T,4. Turn was a ten and I was eliminated. I'm not complaining about the beat because he could have hit any ace,ten 4 or paired the board to beat me, so it wasn't that much of a longshot. I'm a relatively intermediate omaha player and was interested in more advanced player's opinions on this hand. Did I play it right? Did my opponent make a mistake and get lucky? Clearly I had the best of it but maybe my mistake was pre-flop. I don't know how I could have gotten away from it anyhow [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Help with this PL omaha 8 hand

I'm not a fan of PL or any Omaha tournament for that matter, but if this were a ring game, I would say your play was correct, given the way people weren't exactly betting big. You've already made your hand and need to get the drawers out. You made the right play and it isn't your fault that somebody called with a draw still to come.

You were incorrect though in saying that all he needed to do was pair the board. He needed to pair one of the other cards in his hand, since he can only play 3 cards from the board, not 4.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:11 AM

You played fine. Considering the Aces and fours that are probably already out, is ten outs are more like seven so he is a healthy underdog.

gl

Dave
Old 01-19-2004, 04:43 AM

IMHO - even though you raised preflop, you can get away from that hand when K-K-Q comes. You raised to punish the limpers and narrow the field to only the best hands, i.e. hands with four wheel cards; or A-2 & high cards; or four high cards. When a pair comes on the flop higher than your wired pair, even though you have already made the boat, your have to think that you can be beat -- especially since you narrowed the field down to only those hands that can beat you.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:34 AM

I dont raise with pockets preflop exept AAxx...or late in tourney on button with KK maybe QQ if the blinds are too tight. I like to see these as cheap as possible, hoping to get a hand like you got lol...tough beat played fine. Just preflop my strategy is different.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:59 AM

If both of your other players have a king you will lose about 2 out of 3 times with your Queens boat to a Kings boat. Whether you want to take that risk is up to you. Personally I wouldn't this early in the tournament. But if your hand holds up you triple your stack.

If you only have one opponent you will win over 2 out of 3 times. Here I would be willing to gamble with the best of it.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:42 AM

Chaos,

This would only be true if they were playing random cards. The beauty of this situation is that the hilo element means that they are more likely to have overlaps on their cards, such as A-5. I wouldnt be surprised if between them they only had 15 or so outs. So you would be even money or there abouts, against 2:1+ money price. This isnt passable in any stage of the comp.

cheers

Dd