Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2005, 06:25 PM

Default AA on KK board

All players are more or less loose-passive.

I felt I should have probably taken some other approach on this hand. The high paired board and loads of cold-callers make it more or less obvious that I'm behind. The bet on the flop does almost nothing to protect my hand and the turn bet feels just like asking to get raised after having the whole table smooth-calling the flop bet.

Any suggestions on what line to take here?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (14 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (17.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB
Old 01-29-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: AA on KK board

Very similar to my hand:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&amp;fpart=1

At least I'm not the only one who can't let got of AA [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2005, 06:35 PM

Yes, it's quite similar but still a bit different. I think a KK board makes it more likely for at least one of the coldcallers to have made trips than on a 77 board.

I actually expect people to call the flop and then raise the turn and still I bet out on both rounds... That can't be good.

And Yes, it is difficult to let go of the aces every now and then. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-29-2005, 06:42 PM

Nobody with a good line for this kind of situation?
Old 01-29-2005, 07:30 PM

how about check-calling the flop.
Raising the turn &amp; folding to a 3-bet...?
Old 01-29-2005, 08:05 PM

This is a bad idea, IMO. Especially in a passive game, which is how he described it. When you preflop raise, what's everyone's first assumption about your hand? AK. So if you check-call the flop and check-raise the turn, someone with a K might not 3 bet, fearing you have them out-kicked with AK or KQ. So you 3-bet, and just get called.. now what?

I think your line was fine until calling the turn raise. An important concept to consider in this situation is that the pot is protected, meaning: since there are many players seeing the flop, each individual is less likely to try and make a move on the pot, since it becomes increasingly more likely that someone has the King with each extra person in the hand. Now that many players are seeing the turn, you can be pretty sure that a raise is the real deal. Anyone making a bluff-raise in that situation is making a sucker play.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:08 PM

Reminds me of a hand I played recently only the flop with with a pair of 4's and someone had cold-called 3 bets (it was capped and he was in the big blind) with 74o. Argh... but I also should've been more aware of the paired board and the incessant raising.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:18 PM

Call down the turn raise. You still have two outs in what ended up as a 19.5 bb pot, plus the possibility that you're still ahead.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:27 PM

hmm.. but when the raise got back to him, he was getting 16.5:1, and if expected the MP2 to call, then 17.5:1. Without implied odds, you need 22:1. I don't know how much you can expect on the river if you hit the A. It's pretty likely a couple of the players are on a draw with QJ, QT, or JT. I'm really not sure if the implied odds add enough. It's probably pretty close, though. So a call can't be that bad, as long as you fold the river if you miss.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's probably pretty close, though. So a call can't be that bad, as long as you fold the river if you miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't do that. Although it's very unlikely that hero's ahead here, people do very strange things in big pots, and that's a big pot.