Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2004, 12:55 AM

Default Stud stats - are these cold cards or typical?

I had a sense that I have hit a run of cold cards, so I have started to keep detailed stats of my hands. For the past week or so, I have been averaging 79% unplayable hands on third street. By unplayable I mean no flush draw, no pairs worth keeping (small - mid pairs, where one is dead or there is no decent overcard, or both) - usually just three unrelated cards. Of my opening hands ( the last 21%), only 9% or so are playable to the end.

I do a reasonable amount of semi-bluffing, and I think I am a somewhat aggressive player. I'm not waiting for the perfect hand, by any means. The net result is that I am only winning about 5.5% of the hands I am playing. The other interesting number is that duiring this cold spell, I am winning 55 - 65% of the hands I compete for. The thing is, I don't compete for many, so making any money is a real chore.

Are these really cold cards like I think, or are these typical numbers? The ante alone is costing me a fair bit of money with these stats.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Stud stats - are these cold cards or typical?

21% of starting hands seems about right to me - certainly not a run of cold cards.
Dont know about the 9% playable to the river - i dont keep such stats.
And if most of the pots are multi-way, then winning 55-65% of them sounds fine too.
Making $ can be chore [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Without any further information it's hard to give you advice.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:19 AM

Of those hands you play, only seeing the river 9% of the time seems low. IF you're folding heads up often, you're probably folding too much.

What game are you playing, and how are you keeping track of these stats?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:07 AM

Are you playing a high ante game ?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:15 AM

I am playing a $3/$6 game on-line at Empire Poker, and the ante is $0.50. Of the hands that I end up winning, I would guess that half or so end up as multiway. For tracking, I wrote a small little program that has some buttons on it. Buttons are labled with outcomes like Fold Third, Fold Bring-In, etc. Every time I press a button, new totals are calculated. I then put the results in a spreadsheet for further calculation.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:50 AM

Could I trouble you for a copy of that program?

stevedonel@yahoo.com

I can paypal you a reasonable amount of $$, if you like.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:57 PM

21% seems about right for a typical $3/6 game. If the game is more aggressive, then you should probably be playing fewer hands. The 5.5% number seems low, but I don't track stuff like that (I play live). You might be giving up too soon too often, or you may not have enough data to draw any meaningful conclusions.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:10 PM

Andy - thanks for the reply. The 5% number seems low to me too, but for the sessions I have been tracking so far, I am folding often on later streets because there is no real improvement on 4'th and 5'th.

I have logged a smaller number of sessions were things have gone better, and it feels like I am getting my "fair share" of decent cards. In those cases, I am winning 10 - 20% of all hands, which feels better, given that most games have 8 players.

As I plug away, it will be interesting to see how these numbers net out over time.