Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Straddling - good/bad/has its place?

This is something I've been wondering about for a while - does straddling have a place? If so, how would you use it? For a while, I thought it was just a waste of money (just raise 2xBB from UTG with 7,2o and you've accomplished the same purpose), but I've seen some good players do this, and it DOES change the dynamic of the game. What does everyone think about this?

Kirk R.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Straddling - good/bad/has its place?

straddling doesnt have a place. It's used by gamblers that want to generate action. The Live straddle has no positive value , you blindly raise under the gun, and are out of position, it can be very costly to your bank roll. Yes you will see some lucky gambler hit a miracle hand and take down a huge pot, but in the long run it will just leak extra bets from your bank roll. If it was a positive play, every one would do it, every hand.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:33 PM

Hahaha...

If you are an INCREDIBLE player in inflated pots, but somehow HORRIBLE in small pots, you could do this. It IS potentially intimidating, but it could also be bait to players who simply CANNOT play multi-handed and in large pots. Let's suppose this player receives 8 5 os. And suppose someone calls with KT (loose because he feels he will win) and the flop is K 6 7... In a large pot, 8 5 os will suddenly be getting very good odds, and if he hits, KT will not be able to let go because he is a bad multiway player...

Of course, this is all random speculation, and this situation is ridiculous. So you'd better be some kind of odd, unusual player.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hahaha...

If you are an INCREDIBLE player in inflated pots, but somehow HORRIBLE in small pots, you could do this. It IS potentially intimidating, but it could also be bait to players who simply CANNOT play multi-handed and in large pots. Let's suppose this player receives 8 5 os. And suppose someone calls with KT (loose because he feels he will win) and the flop is K 6 7... In a large pot, 8 5 os will suddenly be getting very good odds, and if he hits, KT will not be able to let go because he is a bad multiway player...

Of course, this is all random speculation, and this situation is ridiculous. So you'd better be some kind of odd, unusual player.

[/ QUOTE ]
perhaps it can used to give off the image as a "gamblor"
Old 08-16-2004, 09:58 PM

You can use it to liven up a dead table or give an impression of gambooooooling to pay off in future bets.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:31 PM

Shockingly enough -- especially for Foxwoods -- I was at a table a month ago where I got stuck with the tightest of the tighties (almost every hand was getting chopped by the blinds) and I thought to loosen 'em up (while I was waiting for another seat at another table to open) I'd post a straddle. Everyone folded -- including the blinds.

Next rotation, came around again, straddle #2. Everyone folded, the big blind called, action went to me, I raised, using my Super Duper Saddle Power o' Position. The big blind folded.

Another seat came up and I couldn't witness the effect my Saddlin' o' Doom had -- but they were all grumbling at me when I left. I'm all for playing "tight" but I think we were averaging around 1 out of 10 hands NOT being a chop -- and I was half-involved in this conversation with my buddy's girlfriend so I couldn't even take advantage by just raising every hand preflop in order to attempt to steal from every position.

But it finally gave me the chance to straddle.

However, in general, 999 times out of 1000 ... don't.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 08-16-2004, 11:32 PM

if you played perfectly post flop, which is unlikely, the most straddling could cost you would be 1.5 bbs. If you were going to play the hand anyway, without a raise, it costs you 1BB. If you were going to raise anyway, it costs you nothing. It gains you several things, most hard to quantify. I dont straddle, but if you are wanting to you need to read this

straddle is g00t

peace

john nickle
Old 08-17-2004, 04:55 AM

I have never straddled always thought is was a stupid thing to do I don't mind someone playing an aditional blind at my table though.

I did see some interesting straddle play in Europe - PLHE tournaments that made me rethink the straddle but I still think it is a stupid thing to do.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:23 AM

last time someone straddled i raised it in MP with ATo..a hand I might not even play usually. everyone folded except the straddler. rags came out and he bet and i raised again. another useless card came on the turn, he checked i bet he called. then a Q or something on the river and check check. I flipped over ace high and won the pot. everyone was like "wow"
Old 08-17-2004, 01:53 PM

Time and time again I have been at dead tables that suddenly turn into loose tables with 6-7 average callers preflop with action flying all over the place, all with the help of a couple of live straddles and some cheerful banter.

In my opinion it is an essential tool in the poker player's toolbox. I have used it successfully many times to generate extra action even in pots where I don't post a straddle. Oftentimes other players will start posting straddles as well to "join in on the fun", and in my experience it ususally gets the players to loosen even in other hands where there is no straddle.