Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Noobie

I've been playing poker actively for about a year now, almost strictly texas. I've recently become interested in learning how to play stud 8or better. I figured before I played 8 or better I should learn to play regular 7stud. If you could list a couple of good beginner books(I wasn't sure if I should go right to sklansky) it would be much apprecieated.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Noobie

Hand values between stud and stud 8 vary greatly. QQ9 might be a good hand in stud but it's marginal if not unplayable in stud hi/lo (at low limits) in many situations.

Ray Zee's book High-Low-Split poker for advanced players is the definitive text on stud/8. Even though it's from the advanced players series, I think many of the concepts are applicable at low limits.

Especially valuable are the starting hand chapters.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:17 PM

It's incorrect to think that you should learn stud hi as a step to learning stud hi-lo. While the mechanics of the games are the same, the split pot makes the correct strategies very different. The Zee book is pretty much the only thing you need to read specifically on stud hi/lo. Both stud hi and high low are great games, and I think it's worth learning both and Omaha if you enjoy changing up your games. With HE games as good as they are right now, you don't really need to know another game, but you never know. My time to play is severely limited by work/family. But I've recently found a game on the commuter train I can play in guilt free (have to get home, after all) and they play ONLY stud and 5-card draw.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:47 PM

Thanks. I actually recieved Ray Zee's book in the mail today so I guess I'll start in on that right away. Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:22 PM

If you're playing at Canterbury, it almost isn't worth learning a game other than hold'em.

Stud and stud/8 are very different games. I play both reasonably well, but I can't think of anyone else I know who I would say that about. Of course, I only know a small handful of players who play either game well.

Read Ray Zee's book. That and TOP are about all you need. 7CS4AP might help a little bit, and I think it's good to learn all the games.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:49 PM

When I do play at canterbury I only play texas and don't plan to change that. But I've noticed playing online (at low limits) that these stud 8 or better games are very very loose. Most players stay in till 5th street and there's usually 4 or 5 players showing down. I was just hoping to learn the game because these appear to be very beatable games. I realize that some of the strategy in Zee's book won't be applicable because this, but from your advice thus far it seems like the best place to start.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:02 PM

Actually Zee's book gives you pretty much all you need to know, for any kind of game. It's a really great book.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:14 PM

I love Stud Hi/Lo but it needs discipline to play well.

This article will help you avoid some common pitfalls.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:25 AM

I can't think of anything in Ray's book that wouldn't be applicable to the game you describe. Most people play high-low way too loose, even at higher limits, which is why the game has trouble sustaining itself. You would probably do well to avoid big pairs other than Aces, but Ray's book has everything you need to become a winning stud/8 player.