Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Bet this river?

This was an interesting QQ hand that I played. The initial raiser seemed somewhat average to me, the 3 bettor was definately LAG, I didn't have much of a read on the guy that called 4-cold as he was not regular player in this game. (I assumed he was somewhat bad) The guy that called 90 out of the blind was definately loose. The board double-pairing didn't scare me nearly as much as the back-door flush and the possibility that Mr. 4-cold had KK (note: When I 4-bet preflop I almost always have AA or KK, but in this situation with an LAG doing the 3 betting, my preflop play is automatic, but in past pots when I had 4-bet preflop, I usually showed down AA or KK)

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, MP1 calls.

Flop: (18.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds, MP1 calls.

River: (14.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB
Old 08-11-2004, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Bet this river?

That should be a pretty easy bet IMO. If I got check raised I would piss and moan, then pay it off.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet this river?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the compelling question is: Why not bet this river?

Garland
Old 08-11-2004, 04:51 PM

I would agree... Id put one guy on X - 10, and the other on a flush draw... Im still definately learning, but I would say the weakness theyve showed means you can bet
Old 08-11-2004, 04:58 PM

Bet and expect to get paid off by any ace, ten, 99, JJ, etc.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:15 PM

The LAG 3-better is somewhat bad, but he doesn't hate money so he won't pay off with a big Ace. The 4-cold has some chance of paying off w/ a AK I guess, and 1 of them would probably pay off with a pair. If LAG 3-bettor has a pair, its likely a smaller one as he would have put in at least 1 raise somewhere w/ JJ to test my hand, and he probably wouldn't overcall a small pair on the river here. If he somehow had a 10 in his hand (which I kind of doubt given the preflop action) he would overcall though. If he had a 10 though I think there was a good possibility he would have bet into me on the flop and hope to take his 5-outer against me heads up. Heads up I obviously bet 100% of the time here but the presence of 2 people calling me down made that backdoor flush seem a little more scary, especially given the fact that I have to pay-off a checkraise. I was/am (knowing what they held) confident that if I bet the river I only get paid off in 1 spot.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:57 PM

Yes, bet it. I think you'll be paid off here in at least one spot a lot more often than you'll be called/raised by a better hand. I don't think you have to fear KK. Only the weakest players wouldn't raise at least the flop if they had KK.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:39 PM

River has to be a value bet. Nobody would slow play this, and it's likely that someone would have thrown a move on you on the turn if he had a flush draw with over cards, etc. Board pairing twice is nearly irrelevent....