Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 01:05 AM

Default Hand o\' the day: Let them catch up or go to war on the turn?

Villian is loose/passive.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Being a loose/passive player, my immediate range of hands for them is TT, 99, T9, KQ, Q8, 87.

Turn: (5.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

I was planning a turn C/R....then I absolutly cripple the deck. My thoughts: If they have TT or 99, we could go to war. However, I don't want to slow down a much broader range of a straight.

River: (7.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Thats right, I donk bet. I'm ready to rock and roll. Guess I should have started this on the turn....

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 06-24-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Hand o\' the day: Let them catch up or go to war on the turn?

So why didn't you go to war on the turn? If he wants to play he'll play, if he wants to slow down he'll slow down.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 AM

if this is his range: TT, 99, T9, KQ, Q8, 87. I think your cheating your self big time by not getting more bets in on the flop and the turn.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:34 AM

I tend to avoid turn checkraises with my biggest hands, as they can kill the action. Actually, so can the stop-n-go sometimes, I've learned.

By the way, TT/99/T9 is 15 combos. KQ/Q8/87 is 48 combos. If the Q8 and 87 need to be suited, though, then it's only 24 combos. Anyway, generally speaking, I would have a wider range for my opponent after just one flop raise. But if you could really narrow MP2's possible holdings that much, then I guess I question the plan to checkraise the turn unimproved, a little.

Anyway, except for the T9, which just got counterfeited on the turn, none of the hands you listed really need to improve to be strong. And the straights can only get worse.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:39 AM

I narrow the range so much because he is a passive player. overall agg of under .5.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:40 AM

I'm usually just 3-betting the flop but I've developed a habit of fastplaying my hands and it's helping me get paid off with them.

I'm definitely betting this turn given your flop play. I think check-calling is your worst option (besides check-folding, of course).

Rob
Old 06-24-2005, 07:05 AM

I like the bet/3bet the turn line. You said Villain is passive, so his flop raise says he's very strong, and there's no reason to believe he won't raise you on the turn.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm usually just 3-betting the flop but I've developed a habit of fastplaying my hands and it's helping me get paid off with them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a very good habit that many people reading this forum would benefit from picking-up.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:48 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

in TOP Sklansky notes that when slowplaying you want to have monster hands and try to let others catch up to second best by catching a cheap card. with the pure nuts however he recommends you bet and raise right away so if someone has a hand you can fully capitalize. he goes on to discuss a situation with a friend of his. you got good action on an expensive street so thats nice, but you may have missed a bet or two.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:18 AM

If he's passive, he's probably raising the flop with a made hand instead of a draw (only a straight draw is possible, anyways). I would put up my dukes right there because in all likelyhood this guy is ready to go multiple bets on multiple streets.