Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 05:35 AM

Default What do I do?

So I have gotten to this point here, where I am at a loss for which way I should go with my poker abilities (or lack thereof). The background you should know is that I'm a pretty good player, probably the best of my home game. I play cards the traditional way most of the time, though I switch it up occassionally to add dimension to my game. But I usually don't do crazy things that add drama. I'd say I'm semi-aggressive, but within bounds. I understand a lot of the nuances pretty well, but probably not all. I can play ring as well as tournaments and adjust to each one. But lately, i've been on a losing streak, and it's really hard to stomach because there must be something that I am doing that allows people to draw out on me. (Eg. I hold pocket aces in a shorthanded game... everyone folds to me and the blinds are still in. I raise 3x the blinds in a .25/.50 game. Both call. BB hits fullhouse with 55 on the flop. That is part of poker and I understand that, but the fact is that it's happening every time I get a big hand I can't get away from. The last hand, that prompted me to come here, was I get A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button with several limpers in a .50/$1 game. I raised to 4x the BB and every folds except for the guy before the button. flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Guy comes out betting 30 into the $9. I'm holding top pair with a 4 flush. I went allin. He won with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], calling my preflop raise with it. It's things like this that are typical of my latest sessions. There are too many of them to consider them chance, or to say that's part of poker, so what can I do to improve my reads, my patience, anything. I'd want to say I've learned things from these losses, but I can't say I have. If you flop 2 pair, and you slow play it with nothing else on the board, and then on the turn you bet half the pot, and someone calls and hits their gutshot on the river; what am i supposed to do? I'm just speechless right now from the number of suckouts I've had to endure today, so any tips or anything like that you could recommend would be phenomenal.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:39 AM

Default Re: What do I do?

hey man [censored] happens to all of us, ive dropped 5k in a week and it feels like crap

just post some hands that are troubling you, pick yourself, grind out another 25k hands and re-evaluate

oh and use paragraph breaks

oh and dont slowplay