Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Is me or Pacific that is being unreasonable?

Below is my email to Pacific regarding an incident earlier today and their reply. I think they are being unreasonable but I am interested to hear opinions. Maybe it was just me being stupid.

My Email:

I was playing in a NL $600 game today and split a sizeable pot. I was typing in the chat regarding the hand as the next hand (2009394715) was being played. Suddenly my chat message was missing some characters and in the game I had reraised before the flop with nine-five offsuit!

Presumably you have some type of hot key for re-raise and the pacific client used part of my chat as an indication to re-raise. I had the chat open on my second monitor and my mouse was nowhere near the table

Unless I am supposed to not use chat while in a hand, this is a serious design problem which has cost me $28.

I have only recently started playing on Pacific as opposed to other sites but this has obviously caused me to rethink the idea. $28 is not a lot of money when I play on $600 and $1000 NL cash games but there is a principle involved. Besides, next time my chat is used by the client as a betting hot key, there could be a lot more money involved

Please explain how this could happen, including any way I can disable hot keys, and I would appreciate the return of my $28 which was lost through faulty software rather than a sudden insane desire to reraise with 95o."

Pacific's Reply

"Dear Steve,

Thank you for choosing Pacific Poker.

As you mentioned raising a 5 and a 9 is probably not the best thing to do, howeve these hotkeys have been introduced to improve our site and benefit our members.

May i suggest Steve that you keep an eye on whos turn it is before typing your next word in chat, this should help to reduce further accidents like this in the future.

As this was no fault on our part we are reclined to offer any refund or compensation, as there was no fault in our software.

If you require further assistance in this or any other matter, please feel free to contact us - we are here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Best wishes,

Gary
Member Support
Pacific Poker"

So it would appear they admit their software is terrible but believe it was my fault for not realising I shouldn't chat during a hand in case the software decides it is a hot key.

Just me or is that completely ridiculous?

Fuchida
Old 07-23-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Is me or Pacific that is being unreasonable?

The hotkeys are f, c, and r. It's not too hard to stay away from them.
Old 07-23-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it would appear they admit their software is terrible but believe it was my fault for not realising I shouldn't chat during a hand in case the software decides it is a hot key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it appears that they think there terrible software is great. It's happened to me a few times too. I've found that chat is a massive waste of time, effort, and desktop space on pacific. The only people that chat are either being ass clowns or are trying to get dates. Losing 28 dollars is a sign that you should not chat.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:07 PM

You just e-mailed the site that has steadfastly and stubbornly stuck to the worst poker software on the entire web, and told them that their software sucks.

Next, could you e-mail Party Poker and tell them they have bad customer service support?
Old 07-23-2005, 01:11 PM

If there is no option to disable the hotkeys, and you were not aware that chatting could trigger them, then I'd say they are the ones in the wrong.

Nigel
Old 07-23-2005, 01:15 PM

pluck out the hotkey keys from your keyboard while you play. or just buy a cheap $7 keyboard and use pluck out the keys so you dont have to keep putting them back in.
Old 07-23-2005, 01:49 PM

You should keep fighting with them. I lost 200$ in a pot because of an accidental call, which they admitted was obviously true, in NL 200$ and they compensated for me.

Pacific
For this, we have decided to refund to members the amount of $10 as
compensation. I know that depending on your game, this amount may seem
insignificant to you Josh. But I do kindly ask that you understand why
this is so.

The 10$ is still rotting in my account, I will never go back.
Old 07-23-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should keep fighting with them. I lost 200$ in a pot because of an accidental call, which they admitted was obviously true, in NL 200$ and they compensated for me.

Pacific
For this, we have decided to refund to members the amount of $10 as
compensation. I know that depending on your game, this amount may seem
insignificant to you Josh. But I do kindly ask that you understand why
this is so.

The 10$ is still rotting in my account, I will never go back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I responded to them but I have taken my money off the site. With so many sites to choose from, why bother with one with such bad customer service, even if the games are fairly soft.

Maybe I shouldn't mix principle with making money at poker but also I think the annoyance factor affected my play for a little while afterward and going back to Pacific would probably annoy me again, even if only subconciously.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The hotkeys are f, c, and r. It's not too hard to stay away from them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No bad software is bad software and the providers lack of desire to fix it is no reason someone should lose funds. The answer most often taken here is to use CTRL-F, CTRL-C or some other combo that wouldn't be typed while in chat.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:33 PM

You have three choices:

1. You can continue arguing with the univerally-recognized worst poker management on the web. This may be perversely entertaining but you are otherwise wasting your time.

2. You can continue to play without risking further hotkey incidents. You now have an extra advantage over other players who may be victimized by this software and lose their money to you. Winning poker is about adapting to circumstances and this is a classic example.

3. Find somewhere else to play.