Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 12:56 AM

Default $15-30 Party: River decision.

$15-30 Party, game is 5-handed, but has recently been even shorter. I am on some kind of run against one other player with some very aggressive play on both's part in several pots during a short space of time. One noteable hand is when he opens from the cut-off with a raise and I threebet A9o from the small blind, he caps, I call the board comes K-T-9-T-x and I check call him down to see his 22. He bet the river too.

This comes right after these pots and when I open-raise AKo from the button, I am 90% sure that this opponent will reraise from his big blind, and close to 100% sure if the small blind folds. SB folds, BB 3-bets and I cap.

Flop: Jc-Th-9c. I have the Ac. He checks. Since I already feel commited to a showdown and this wasn't excactly a dream flop, I choose to check behind him.

Turn: 9d. He checks, ok one step closer, I check too (too weak thinking on my part??).

River: Ad. He bets. Call or raise?

lars
Old 07-29-2004, 03:14 AM

Default Re: $15-30 Party: River decision.

Very easy raise.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:36 AM

I would have bet the turn, and yes- raise the river.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:30 AM

Bet the turn, raise the river.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:53 AM

I'd have a hard time not betting that turn. It feels risky against a guy who will play back at you with nothing, but I don't want him drawing to 6 outs (or some kooky gutshot) for free.

I have to say that in the heat of the moment I'd raise the river without thought. Looking at it here, it's a little more risky than it first appears. He'll only call it if he has a worse ace or perhaps a small pocket pair. It doesn't seem likely he'd sit on a 10 or J this long.

But I'm overthinking it. Raise the river. A guy like this doesn't have the patience to slowplay a big hand.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:32 AM

Default Re: $15-30 Party: River decision. RESULTS.

First, given my description of this player, does anyone advocating a turn bet here feel that I can fold to a turn checkraise or a river bet, if unimproved?

I don't, and in that case, does anyone really think not betting the turn is a mistake?

Anyway, I raised the river. And he 3-bet. Tommy Angelo would probably have folded for the first river bet for some reason if it had been a live game. Me however, I pay off his 3-bet too to be shown Q8s.

lars
Old 07-29-2004, 11:36 AM

Default Re: $15-30 Party: River decision. RESULTS.

I think you played it perfectly. I dont see anything wrong with checking behind on the flop and the turn given your description of him.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:46 AM

But I'm overthinking it. Raise the river. A guy like this doesn't have the patience to slowplay a big hand.

Guys like this only have the patience to slowplay a big hand. When a guy who always bets suddenly checks two chances in a row, alarm bells should go off. I am not saying that you shouldn't raise/call a reraise, but it should at least enter you thought process when someone dramatically switches their style on you.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:51 AM

Guess I wasn't overthinking it after all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2004, 12:42 PM

i would personally raise