Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Trouble On The Big Blind

Since I always play so tightly preflop, I never feel comfortable playing trash hands postflop from the BB and I never seem to get it right. Help. Am I just spewing here?

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds.

I had reads (that I can share) but I doubt they justify the bet with such a large field behind me. Clear check/fold right?

Turn: (5.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

River: (7.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Trouble On The Big Blind

I agree that betting into a 6-person field with your low, middle pair is pretty optimistic, and while I'd check, let's not be too hasty on the fold. You're a little more than 8-1 to improve to trips or 2-pair, and depending on the action, you could be getting more than 10-1. You won't improve to a guaranteed winner, but I like to see a turn card here. Your outs aren't discounted by the flush draw, which is nice.

I think we need to fold the turn though, as you did. We're not getting the right odds, and our Jack will put three to a straight on the board.

So I think you played it fine, save the flop bet, which is a little risky. Getting raised by UTG+2 would be quite unpleasant.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:39 PM

I think the flop is a clear check. I may check/fold or check/call heck maybe even check/raise. It really depends on the action back to me who bets that type of thing.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:45 PM

At least check-call one back to you. Betting out doesn't do much except get you into trouble.
Old 10-11-2005, 01:38 PM

I would check the flop. If the only bettor is in late position, I will check-raise him and lead the turn. If the bet comes before then, I'll call given 8.5:1 odds.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that betting into a 6-person field with your low, middle pair is pretty optimistic, and while I'd check, let's not be too hasty on the fold. You're a little more than 8-1 to improve to trips or 2-pair, and depending on the action, you could be getting more than 10-1. You won't improve to a guaranteed winner, but I like to see a turn card here. Your outs aren't discounted by the flush draw, which is nice.

I think we need to fold the turn though, as you did. We're not getting the right odds, and our Jack will put three to a straight on the board.

So I think you played it fine, save the flop bet, which is a little risky. Getting raised by UTG+2 would be quite unpleasant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont know about this flop check EVERYTIME in the .50/1 games...hyper aggro is optimal play in these limits. I'd say pick your optimal spots. I cant count how many times Id see even a pocket pair lower than our crap or high card(s) goto showdown.