Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 04:14 AM

Default OK, guys... need some advice here.... help me out, please

I'm NOT trying to whine here, but I'm starting to motice something very wrong with Party Poker. I have not changed any of my play between sites (TGC, Paradise, Party/skins). What I have noticed is that I am down BIG at party... very big... I had a bad streak about a month ago and thought I was out of it, but party has been killing me lately. I can't really understand how I can play the same style at 3 different sites and lose consistantly at party and win at the other 2. Not saying party's rigged, but I definately feel like something is wrong.

If there's anything I can post that would help with any evaluation, let me know and I'll post it. This is just mind-baffling to me.

Thank for any help.....

'Mez
Old 11-07-2003, 04:34 AM

Default A few things to add......

For about a month now, I've been playing 2 tables at once, but have stopped doing that recently to see if there's something wrong with my play at party.

Also, from playing SH and higher limits through TGC, I have noticed from playing there, that at the higher limits and SH you can bluff alot more. Right now, when playing at party, I try to get a few orbits in and see what the players are like before trying to do anything like betting middle pair(unless SH), and stone cold bluffing. And I rarely do either of these, as you can't normally bluff/bet w/middle pair into 6 callers with much success.

Just thought I'd add these thoguhts to my post.

BTW.... My PF raise % is the same, my SDW% has dropped 10%, my WINWSF% is down 12%, and my BB/hour has dropped from 3.43 to 2.56..... that's my total... during this "streak", my BB/hour at party are at -1.90/hour........
Old 11-07-2003, 04:41 AM

Default Re: OK, guys... need some advice here.... help me out, please

I am way up at party, but have gotten my a$$ kicked at UB on bonus expeditions. Do I think it has something to do with UB. No, I believe it was bad cards, bad play, and some bad beats. Party is wilder than most of the other sites and you are probably on the bad side of nasty variance. Losing can work on you psychologically, make you see things that are not there. Play solid, do not tilt, and you will win even at party.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:51 AM

Thanks tj... I'm hoping that's all it is, and you're right..... party is stoopid crazy...... I had some guy check-raise me twice in the same hand...... when he had pocket 10's and there were 2 overcards on the flop, and I had top-2 pair.... unbelievable stuff goes on over there........ Sometimes I have to do a double take just to see what's what......
Old 11-07-2003, 04:58 AM

How many hours at each site are we talking about. This is over a period of a couple of months, so I think it is safe to assume that you don't have more than a couple of hundred hours at each site, so you probably don't have anywhere near a significant sample from each site, and your win rate differences, are probably due to short term variation.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:10 AM

When we played together on OIC I thought you were tilting because you kept typing things in about how everyone is sucking out on you on party (you were playing at the same time). LOL ;D

BTW. I did make it to 1-2$ that night but lost 100$ in one hand because I acidentally joined 1-2$ with No Limit, clicked the raise button pre-flop with my very first hand and 50$ was gone. I noticed a guy raise, but I thought I was just re-raising, not raising a 25$ bet. Lol [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2003, 05:25 AM

You're probably right, Bob... just shy of 300 hours, but the varience is something I'm not really used to. I really need to get sklansky/malmuth's book on Gambling theory and other topics (I think)... someone once told me it talks about varience and i think I need to read it.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:43 AM

It's very rare for me to tilt now... I learned that lesson the hard way about a month ago... Actually, I've been leaving tables when I think I'm going to tilt, so I don't worry about that so much.

I DID enjoy your post about the NL, though... that was classic

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-07-2003, 10:52 PM

Default I had my hopes up yesterday, but this is out of hand.....

My current losing streak at party is 18 sessions...... something had to be terribly wrong here..... Have NOT been on tilt during any of these sessions, and have played the same cards the same way I always have. I can understand being sucked out on to an extent, but I'm not kidding when I say that it's to an extreme. Over this period, I am only winning 3% of my hands (so far, 1700 hands played during this period). I really don't know what to do.

Is there something in pokertracker I can check to see if there's a big leak in my gane?

Should I take some time off from party?

Is there anything in general anyone else does when/if they exeprience something like this?

I may be harping or whining on this, but it's really getting to me... I walked away from party today before going on tilt, and thoughts of quitting have been entering my mind; I don't want to, but the frustration is getting to the point where I'm not sure it's worth it.

Thanks in advance for any replies........

[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2003, 11:08 PM

Default You need a break Gomez

Gomez,

Take a break for a few days. You need to develop a thick skin and handle the swings.

I started off this year pretty bad. I went from November until Febuary without having a winning month. I had winning sessions, however the winning sessions never covered the losing sessions that I had.

I never complained I just fought through it and played A-B-C poker. Eventually things turned around, and I started beating the game again.

If I can do it so can you. Don't dig a deeper hole. Do something non poker related. Rent a movie, exercise. Play with a pet, just do something to take your mind off of poker.

Whenever a player questions a game's integrity that player needs to cool it for a bit, and ask the bigger question.

Enjoy the vacation.