Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 01:59 PM

Default Suited Cards -- Need Advice, please

I, by no means, subscribe to the "any two suited" theory, but I am concerned as to when it is a good call (preflop) to limp with suited cards. I feel as though, right now, this is the biggest hole in my game, as I do not have a sound strategy . . .

For instance, I'll almost always limp with Axs and sometimes limp Kxs from late position (if there are multiple limpers to me) and will always complete from the SB with suited cards. . . all of which could be correct or completely incorrect -- which is why I am asking for guidance.

Is there a line I should draw or are there indicators I should look for when holding suited cards? Does it become a correct call once a certain number of players limp to me or if I can expect a certain number of people to see the flop?

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts on playing suited cards.

Ringo.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Suited Cards -- Need Advice, please

Axs and maybe Kxs are long-term winners if played correctly with sufficient pot odds. Suited connectors 98-54 are marginal. Suited connectors KQ-JT are good hands but tough to play if the flush isn't there. You generally want 4+ callers and a cheap flop for Axs, Kxs, 98s and less.

Playing suited cards from the blinds is usually straight-forward. If the most you have to put in is one bet or a half a bet, if the odds are right in the pot, call. Just be sure you aren't calling with crap like 82-suited or 42-suited unless the odds are over-the-top (7 callers and you're in the SB, BB never raises, you're getting 17-1).

That's how I try to play them, discipline lags from time to time. And sometimes I'll raise with JTs-65s just to be a yahoo.

- Groove
Old 11-07-2003, 02:56 PM

At a "typical" game you should be able to limp in from EP with any 2 suited broadway cards. If the game becomes a bit more aggressive I'd fold KTs, QTs, and JTs. Obviously AKs, AQs and sometimes AJs get raised frequently. From MP you will many times raise these broadway type suited hands. Suited connectors lower than say 98 only get played by me in LP if enough players are in. Kxs only gets played on the button if enough are in. Axs will get played in MP or LP only if enough are in, generally if I anticipate 4 or more. The worse the opposition, the fewer callers you need since they will likely chase too far and pay you off more often.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the game becomes a bit more aggressive I'd fold KTs, QTs, and JTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd play JTs before I played something like KJs.

Aces McGee
Old 11-07-2003, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd play JTs before I played something like KJs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?? You do realize JTs is dominated by KJs?
Old 11-07-2003, 04:06 PM

Hmmm. A fair point. But I'm not looking to make top pair with JTs; I'm looking for straights and flushes.

What do others think?

Aces McGee
Old 11-07-2003, 04:07 PM

I usually play if it is one bet to me and I am in the CO or button and have Kx or Ax suited. With only one player in, especially if they play predictably on the flop, I will likely raise.

I complete in the small blind with any two suited, unless I am playing 3-6, and I call one raise out of the big blind with any two suited, if there is at least one other player in, and I am closing the action.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:10 PM

Default RE: Straights and flushes

I guess what Aces brings up is really another part of my confusion. . . with lower and non-Broadway suited cards, am I even looking for pairing up? Or am I strictly looking for straights and flushes?

Old 11-07-2003, 04:12 PM

I'd much rather have 10Js in a multiway pot.

-ropey
Old 11-07-2003, 04:13 PM

In HPFAP JTs is rated slightly higher than KJs. (they are in the same group but JTs is listed earlier in the group). I believe in one of the Poker Essay books Mason wrote that this is because JT will make more straights than KJ and neither hand is particularly good for its pair value.