Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 03:24 PM

Default General 6max observations for comment

Ok, so I've been at this 6max thing for a few days, now. Started out at .5/1, but that seems like kind of a waste of time. They players there are so weak-tight that if you win a hand you can push them off anything from there on out, or so clueless that they'll call down with king-high no matter the board. The players at 1/2 seem a little more aware, so I've moved up there to work on it.

Here are some of my observations; correct me if I'm wrong:

* You want to expand your range of hands a little, but not a lot. Suited kings, for instance, play, along with suited one-gaps in "early" position.

* Your pfr should be significantly higher (maybe 50%, so instead of 10-14 you're looking at 15-20) than what you play at full ring.

* When we talk about using 6max to "learn aggression" it's POSTflop, not pre. So, once you (a) flop a hand, or (b) have position in a hand where nobody seems to love their cards you need to hit it hard and try to win the hand.

Are these generalizations accurate as far as they go? Anything anybody want to add?
Old 08-13-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: General 6max observations for comment

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so I've been at this 6max thing for a few days, now. Started out at .5/1, but that seems like kind of a waste of time. They players there are so weak-tight that if you win a hand you can push them off anything from there on out, or so clueless that they'll call down with king-high no matter the board. The players at 1/2 seem a little more aware, so I've moved up there to work on it.

Here are some of my observations; correct me if I'm wrong:

* You want to expand your range of hands a little, but not a lot. Suited kings, for instance, play, along with suited one-gaps in "early" position.

* Your pfr should be significantly higher (maybe 50%, so instead of 10-14 you're looking at 15-20) than what you play at full ring.

* When we talk about using 6max to "learn aggression" it's POSTflop, not pre. So, once you (a) flop a hand, or (b) have position in a hand where nobody seems to love their cards you need to hit it hard and try to win the hand.

Are these generalizations accurate as far as they go? Anything anybody want to add?

[/ QUOTE ]

its the same game as full ring .. just UTG-MP1 always fold

a large part of your PFR is the same as it was at full ring, isolation and stealraises from the CO and BTN

really its not that different of a game, blind play is different since you are in defending situations much more often, though at 1/2 you aren't being raised too much

my UTG standards(6handed)

77+(sometimes 66, sometimes 88+), A8s+, ATo+(sometimes AJo+), KJs+, KJo+(I don't always raise KJo), QJs, and sometimes JTs
Old 08-13-2005, 04:02 PM

So it's more of a matter of dealing with others' aggression at the 6max game?

[ QUOTE ]

77+(sometimes 66, sometimes 88+), A8s+, ATo+(sometimes AJo+), KJs+, KJo+(I don't always raise KJo), QJs, and sometimes JTs

[/ QUOTE ]

These are caling standards?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So it's more of a matter of dealing with others' aggression at the 6max game?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These are caling standards?

[/ QUOTE ]

do you ever limp first in from mp2?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you ever limp first in from mp2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ok, fine, not much.

I've also not played much short-handed, and so I'm trying to get some expert advice.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Q7s hand

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

So, as an example. PFR is to steal, probably a play I'd make in a full ring game, too. The turn follow-up bet with bottom pair, no redraw, would also be made. The difference is in a full ring game I'd be prepared to call a c/r, and fold the turn to aggression, I'm not sure I'd do that in 6max. Is all this right?
Old 08-13-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Q7s hand

[ QUOTE ]
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...

So, as an example. PFR is to steal, probably a play I'd make in a full ring game, too. The turn follow-up bet with bottom pair, no redraw, would also be made. The difference is in a full ring game I'd be prepared to call a c/r, and fold the turn to aggression, I'm not sure I'd do that in 6max. Is all this right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't steal in the CO with Q7s, BTN yes but you have to be alittle careful with stealing from the CO with marginal hands

and my standards were open-raising standards, I very rarely openlimp at 6max
Old 08-13-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Q7s hand

Good stuff. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:49 PM

I'm trying out a little experiment inspired by Joe Tall. He'll limp 22 UTG at fairly loose-passive (read, most micro and SS) tables, but still open-fold 22-44 in MP. It feels dirty every time I do it, but I need more hands to make a judgment. I don't have much evidence yet as to whether or not it's profitable.