Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who was right?
Vince 38 60.32%
David 25 39.68%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2005, 08:58 PM

Default A poll for libertarians and conservatives: health insurance

I just finished watching John Q. So let's have a poll for the libertarians and conservatives that includes their likely recommended options for John's son.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: A poll for libertarians and conservatives: health insurance

Stupid movie. Organ transplants in this country are not dictated by money. Now in England (with socialized medicine), differant story. Rich people have a better chance at a transplant because government health care doesn't pay for them.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:08 PM

the system needs a major transplant....no doubt.

Great movie "Damaged Care" about the way HMO's/Insurance companies do what they did to the character in that movie John Q - screw people out of their policies - look for excuses to not cover expensive treatments -

it's really sad....goddamn [censored] vultures - and of course, most bankruptcies in the US now are either divorce or medical related - gotta love it -

an interesting read - the woman the movie is based on (Linda Peeno) has come out and said she was directly responsible for the death of a man solely because she was ensuring her company made an extra half mil. in profits -

http://www.cchconline.org/issues/peeno596test.php3

RB
Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 PM

Your poll is screwed up. A heart should be ripped from the neares person Kano-style, of course. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
If I remember correctly, I don't think hospitals can deny healthcare if the person has no insurance. I also don't think there's a big warehouse full of hearts just waiting for someone who needs it.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:16 PM

That's garbage BCPVP. It shows how much you know.

FYI, hospitals do not have to cover transplant costs because they can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. So, if you don't have insurance that covers it(or if your insurance company people are scumbags), and don't have 200 grand in cash lying around, you're screwed.

All hospitals have to do is emergency care for those who can't pay. Just stabilize them. That's all that is required.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:21 PM

It's why managed care is such garbage.

Al Gore was right. It's time to take the decisions away from company bureaucrats and MBA executives who have no [censored] clue about medicine, and give it back to doctors.

Whatever a doctor recommends for treatment should go. Bureaucrats shouldn't be allowed to overrule his judgement.

This can be done in a few ways. Either initiate a government takeover of the health insurance corporations, or just re-regulate them. Cap their premium prices, etc. Be like bugs up their asses. Let's have severe punishments for companies that deny legitimate claims.

The American people will support it. They know what scum sucking vermin insurance companies are.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:01 PM

Maybe you should look into your "facts" a little more. It is illegal for a hospital to discriminate against a patient based of payer source (insurance, medicare, or even none).

You are correct the hospital doesn't have to eat the cost. (Although they do sometimes do just that.) They cannot however refuse the the needed treatment based on ability to pay. There are also many organizations and doctors that donate time and money for these situations.

I am certainly not saying that the health care system is perfect, but denying transplants to poor people is not one of its problems.

It's one of the few places in our society where money has no impact. If you are not a good candidate (too old, sick, or any other reason) you can't get a transplant no matter how much money you have. If you are a good candidate you get the transplant when the proper organ is available.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This can be done in a few ways. Either initiate a government takeover of the health insurance corporations, or just re-regulate them. Cap their premium prices, etc. Be like bugs up their asses. Let's have severe punishments for companies that deny legitimate claims.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a better idea. Since apparently you know everything, why don't you just start your own HMO where you don't deny anyone anything. You said the American people would support it, so why not?

But what we don't need is more government regulation. If you don't like how the insurance company does business, don't buy from them!
Old 03-07-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a better idea. Since apparently you know everything, why don't you just start your own HMO where you don't deny anyone anything. You said the American people would support it, so why not?

But what we don't need is more government regulation. If you don't like how the insurance company does business, don't buy from them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that easy. HMOs were mandated by the government and it was the biggest mistake ever. people don't buy HMO coverage on their own, most get it through their employer.

And I'd never start an HMO, even though I know I'd be more compassionate. HMOs are MANAGED CARE organizations. They're founded upon the principle of [censored] some people over to save money, based on scarcity principles.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And I'd never start an HMO, even though I know I'd be more compassionate. HMOs are MANAGED CARE organizations. They're founded upon the principle of [censored] some people over to save money, based on scarcity principles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm having a little trouble understanding how adding one more (and a BIG one more) layer of bureacracy is going to help the situation. I can't think of anything more full of red tape and bureacracy than the federal government.

Now I understand the desire to help people who need it. Hell, as a college student, my "job" is donating plasma for $50/week. But you can't try running a business without regards to economics. And HMOs, like other insurance companies, are in the business of making money. If you don't like that, fine, but I don't see how your proposals help. I would try encouraging more donations to charities that help low-income people afford such procedures.