Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Who calls this?

Villian is 35/6/3. I've played several hundred hands with villian and consider him pretty decent, maybe a little loose. A reraise from him doesn't neccesarily mean AA, it could be 10-AA and AK(maybe worse). I know he knows that I have a big pair, I know he also knows that I hate situations like these. Given that information do you call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (9 handed) converter

Button ($24.50)
SB ($10.15)
Hero ($26.55)
UTG ($25.15)
UTG+1 ($17)
MP1 ($56.60)
MP2 ($31.10)
MP3 ($6.10)
CO ($25.65)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $1.75</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $8.25</font>, Hero calls $3.25.

Flop: ($16.85) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $22.85 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $18.30 (All-In).

Turn: ($58) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($58) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $58
Old 06-17-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: Who calls this?

Re-re-re-raise pre-flop. If he has aces, oh well.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:26 AM

Push the flop. Maybe he folds AA without the Ad sometimes.

The Doc
Old 06-17-2005, 01:43 AM

A suggestion was made to raise again preflop but I hate that idea, lets him pretty much fold everything except AA, get away cheap, I like the call here.
As played on the flop I'd say call, your gut tells you he'd try and push you around in a spot like this and most of the time here you have outs if beaten.

I don't know if I like check call all in or straight push on flop better. If he has a non diamond AA he might fold it to your push, but youre stuck with it for sure when he pushes you. You might get to snap off JdJ/QdQ maybe with the check call though, think he'd call with those to a push? AxAd will own you here some of the time but that happens. I'm also now starting to think you're only called if beaten, does he think you're really tight and wouldn't push that flop without a monster? Or is he a lot looser than that in spots like this?

Tough spot, thanks for posting this though interesting situation.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A suggestion was made to raise again preflop but I hate that idea, lets him pretty much fold everything except AA, get away cheap, I like the call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he'll make a third raise with AA-TT and AK but fold everything but AA when I put in a fourth raise, I'll be making that fourth raise with literally any two cards 100% of the time. Basically, I will never stop raising this complete moron because he is giving his money away and I want it.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:17 AM

Good point seeing how his hand range is somewhat wide for this situation, even more so if it was assumed he would call with QQ/JJ whatever. But if you just call and checkraise all in on a non A high flop, don't you get to collect more out of him for all those hands you beat, while still losing to AA which you would have anyways if you pushed?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:28 AM

If you put him on that hand range preflop, do you think he carries through like this on the flop with ALL of those hands? Given that "you think he thinks you hate these situations" he might well do that... in which case it's not even close, clear call (I think you have about 70% equity here)

Even after his push if you reduce him to something like AdAx, KK, QdQx, JJ and AdKx you are roughly on a coin flip, getting way better than 50/50 on your money...

nh.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:47 AM

He min-reraises your reraise preflop, I'd push right there. If you're going to get the money in on a flop like that, might as well all be in PF. Since now you're way behind JJ, AdAx, and AxAx even without a diamond.

I'd also lead push on the flop he may think JJ if he has AA and make the tough lay down. Your money should all be in this pot, and the earlier the better imo.

Drink More,
RedRum
Old 06-17-2005, 11:46 AM

If the OP is correct and the re-raiser puts hero on a big pair, then he's going to correctly call with AA non-diamond, because he knows that the only hands he could be behind to is the AdAx and JJ, and that he's ahead over QQ and KK. From what I hear about the $25 games on PP, most players are going to call with AA here anyway... so betting to push him out is silly.

Even if he is the kind of player who would fold AA here, you then have to accept that he's also going to fold QQ and TT also. You don't want him to fold these hands. Check into him and let him bluff into you. In that situation, betting out allows him fold 3 hands that are beating you (all AA combinations without a diamond) and at least 6 hands that you are beating (all QQ and TT combinations without a diamond).

If he's aggressive enough to 3-bet preflop, and really does perceive out hero to be tight enough to fold here, the just check into him and let him bet it for you.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re-re-re-raise pre-flop. If he has aces, oh well.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should learn how to play poker