Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 12:01 AM

Default I got lost in this hand HU semi-bluffing down. help me!

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (5.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 9.70 BB

On the flop I have backdoor nutflush draw, gutshot to the nuts, an overcard, and my Jack might even be good sometimes too. I estimate around 7 outs. I might as well bet since I'd call a bet anyway. Turn doesn't change much, so I semi-bluff. Is this a bad line? could I have check/called? or check-folded? I think betting here is still best.
Then on the river though, should I check-fold? If I check it obviously leaves me open to a busted draw bluff with something like QJ or busted flush draw. Maybe I should have bet this river?

I'm lost on this hand, any advice?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Re: I got lost in this hand HU semi-bluffing down. help me!

I might bet/fold the river.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:00 AM

The river c/r is retarded. If you suspect a busted draw, then c/c to induce a bluff. What's the raise for? Is he going to call you with a worse hand?
Old 08-06-2005, 01:32 AM

I think the flop and turn are all right. I would fold if raised on the turn.

On the river, I would probably check. If he's got a better hand, he seems to want to show it down. Check-calling is an option, on this board that contained a lot of draws, since he might bluff a missed draw. Check-folding is another option, especially if your opponent is passive, and it will sometimes win the pot for you when your opponent checks behind with a missed draw.

Checkraise-bluffing does represent owning your opponent with your trip kings. I don't know how often this will work (it's not the play I would have made here), but obviously it didn't this time.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:45 AM

I wouldn't even think about trying a bluff c/r on the river against an opponent that I didn't know very well. I basically see two options for the river: bet/fold, or check/call &amp; maybe catch a bluff from a busted draw (although you're probably reaching to put this guy on a drawing hand after he coldcalled 2nd in preflop).

FWIW, I normally fire again on the turn, too. This has the effect of sometimes folding an underpair (likely coldcall hand), and disguising your hand for the times when you river the Q.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I normally fire again on the turn, too. This has the effect of sometimes folding an underpair (likely coldcall hand), and disguising your hand for the times when you river the Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I'd love to be there to see/hear the table's reaction when you flip over your cards. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-- Kevin
Old 08-06-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh, I'd love to be there to see/hear the table's reaction when you flip over your cards. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-- Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

My proudest poker accomplishment to date is cracking aces by hitting a runner-runner straight with 72o on a 2+2 table. I think the HH is somewhere in the old posts. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-06-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-- Kevin

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, they're used to it.

I've been called all sorts of names online, but somehow that was mostly at 2/4.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:13 AM

Sweet! It's downright degrading to have aces cracked by 72o, especially in gloriously fishtastic runner-runner style. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]