Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Flopping non nut straight in unraised pot

Playing 2-4 nl on Prima. I just posted my blind in CO after sitting down and am dealt the J7 suited. Villan limps to my right. He is 17/7 although he tends to chase his AK and AQ's when he misses.

Flop comes a lovely 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Blinds check, villan bets 8, I make it 24. Folded around to villan who makes it 76 to go. I call, not really sure if Im ahead or not, QJ is a limping hand after all, but thinking a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or pair might slow him down.

Pot 160. Turn is a total brick. Villan leads for 96. Whats my line for rest of hand.....
Old 07-30-2005, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Flopping non nut straight in unraised pot

First - "but thinking a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or pair might slow him down" - I take it you mean [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ??

Anyways the range of hands you can be up against 76s, 98s, JTs etc you are only behind QJ. The pot is 256 and you need to call 96 making it 352, having about 200 behind. Som many cards you dont wanna see on the river - I think this is an easy push.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:29 AM

Yeah sorry, meant [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], just edited it. There are not really that many cards that are scary for me. I doubt villan has a diamond draw from the way hes played it so far and with the possibility of me having a made hand. But now that you wrote it, pushing is the obvious play. Sure he could have the monster Im afraid of, but he could also have the low straight, a set, or something like two pair that he overplayed. Getting allin here probably maximises my value, but I was im puss mode I guess.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:50 AM

Push all in. If he has you beat its unfortunate but you can't lay this down unless you have an extremely good read. There are several hands you are beating that he could have played the same way.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:40 PM

I called turn, villan checked a rive rwhich made a backdoor flush possible. THEN I CHECKED RIVER! MUSTA BEEN ALL THE BLOOD I LOST THIS MORNING CUASE I KNOW THIS IS A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE CHECK. Villan truns over 67, low straight, and Im wondering how I missed an easy 200 profit.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:48 PM

At these stakes I think you have to get allin for 100BBs with the second nuts against almost anybody.

He'll probably be happy to get allin with 76, 88, 99, TT, or even T9 if hes bad.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 PM

if you have more behind or a sightly worse hand (like 67etc.) i can see calling down here. also, if you have a physical read, then its ok.

as it is, get it in there on the flop. he has QJ you lose, simple as if he has AA and you have KK on AK7 board.

fim
Old 07-30-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing 2-4 nl on Prima. I just posted my blind in CO after sitting down and am dealt the J7 suited. Villan limps to my right. He is 17/7 although he tends to chase his AK and AQ's when he misses.

Flop comes a lovely 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Blinds check, villan bets 8, I make it 24. Folded around to villan who makes it 76 to go. I call, not really sure if Im ahead or not, QJ is a limping hand after all, but thinking a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or pair might slow him down.

Pot 160. Turn is a total brick. Villan leads for 96. Whats my line for rest of hand.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Include stack sizes next time.

I'd probably just push over the top of villain's turn bet once the flush didn't come.