Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Do I have to go Broke?

2-4 six handed NL

I raise 3x BB with KQo in cut and am called by BB. Doesn't seem to play well. We each have around $400.

Flop comes Q Q 9 rb

He bets $11 and I raise to $22.

Turn Q Q 9 2 rb

He bets $25 amd I raise to $125 and he moves all in and I call.

He has pocket Nines and I fail to improve.

Bruce
Old 06-16-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Do I have to go Broke?

[ QUOTE ]

He bets $11 and I raise to $22.

[/ QUOTE ]

Min-raises are ghey. You give him about 6-1 after he took the lead on a paired flop? Even J10 should call you

Raise it $50, lay down if he come over the top. AQ, 99, (Q9 if he's LAG) are possiblites .
Old 06-16-2005, 01:24 PM

When he leads out the turn after your flop min-raise, what did you put him on? Aces? Kings?

In answer to your question...no, probably not, but you were doomed. Doooooomed.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:59 PM

raise to about 35-40 on Flop, at that point he pretty much puts you on aces Kings or a queen.
Then when he leads turn you know he has Aq or better.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:01 PM

Just call the turn. If he has A9 he will check or weakly bet the river and if he has AQ or 99 he will most likley value bet the river and you can see a showdown fairly cheap. This hand shows why blocking bets work.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just call the turn. If he has A9 he will check or weakly bet the river and if he has AQ or 99 he will most likley value bet the river and you can see a showdown fairly cheap. This hand shows why blocking bets work.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont like this at all, if hero raises to about 40 on flop and is called, what hand that hero beats is leading turn??
Wouldn't most people reraise with AA KK TT or JJ outta the blinds to a CO raise?
If villain is calling raises outta the blinds with hands like QJ and QT, then you can call him down, but i dont see that from decent players.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:45 PM

A 3x BB bet 6 handed from the CO is still a very wide range of hands in the games I play. I do agree that a bigger flop raise would let you know exactly where you are at, however I am not convinced it is max EV. The only drawing hand is JT and 3 of those outs make you the nuts. Therefore, you might get most value by simply calling to the river in some cases, and then making a decision at that point (could even catch up with 4 outs in this case). Possible value from PP's other than 9's or weaker queen. Min-raise was terrible though in my opinion.

My advocating for calling the turn was given the flop action and trying to get to showdown.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM

Um, call the flop. Why does everyone want to play rammer jammer with KQ on a QQ9r flop, HEADS UP?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:01 PM

Yes, you have to go broke -- at least at the end.

Why did you raise to $125 though? That seems excessive. Don't you want to keep A9 in? TJ is drawing to only three outs, since a king gives you a full. What were you trying to accomplish by raising to $125?

You say he doesn't play well. IMO, few people who do not play well will lead out after flopping a full.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, call the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, no. I raise. First, your raise is for information. If hero makes a real raise here, you can find out where you stand on the hand. Trip paint is a good way to get stacked, especially if you cant lay it down or wait until the river to ram and jam only to have villain call you with a flopped boat. Second, a raise will either push out draws or make them pay to draw against you. As it stands villain would be giving himself good odds to draw against QQQ with j10(notwithstanding the fact you have all four kings covered with your hand.)

Also, I would like to add this hand is a great example of why raising with offsuit paint is a hard way to make money. I think it was El Diablo (not sure) who said something about calling with big offsuit paint, like AQo, and not raising with them. I agree. Not saying it is incorrect to raise with KQo, just a hard way to make money.