Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 05:16 AM

Default I get fed up with people taking shots at me

You just know some poor play is going to follow a subject like that...

CO is like 80/30/2. Hes a nut.
MP is 70/7/.5. Loves to call call call, wont raise unless hes very strong and will occassionally take stabs with a pure bluff after missing.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP calls, CO folds.

Turn: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (9 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 07-27-2005, 05:26 AM

Default Re: I get fed up with people taking shots at me

I think the flop action is interesting. I'm not sure I like a raise when it could easily get 3-bet. I can't fold because the pot is so big. Yet, a raise could get a K to fold??

Just bet the turn and fold to a raise. Check behind on the river if you bet the turn. If you know he will almost always bluff at the river then checking the turn is fine because you have no fold equity after he coldcalls on the flop.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:28 AM

I think this is well done.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:29 AM

Your calling station very likely has a flush draw. This makes the turn an easy bet. Your read on him (loves to call, won't raise without good hands) makes the turn an even easier bet, since you can comfortably fold to the checkraise.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:48 AM

You have to bet the turn, there's too much money in the pot to not bet and try to win it right there.

Plus your hand, if good, is vulnerable to tons of cards so you should value bet it when ahead here, rather then on the river when you lose that equity, ie. when he will fold a draw.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 AM

Not raising the psychopath's bet on the flop would be criminal in my opinion. Given your description of MP I would absolutely bet the turn because I can easily fold to a raise. He may still stab at the river with a busted draw and then you get paid 2BB!

Cartman
Old 07-27-2005, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not raising the psychopath's bet on the flop would be criminal in my opinion. Given your description of MP I would absolutely bet the turn because I can easily fold to a raise. He may still stab at the river with a busted draw and then you get paid 2BB!

Cartman

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call the turn check-raise, even if villian has the nut flush you are still getting odds.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:37 AM

I agree with all the comments on the turn. It's a pretty clear bet, I think I missed a few value bets in my last session from tilt. Embarassing to admit, but I get more out of posting poorly played hands.

I think I have to fold to a turn c/r from this guy.

If I do bet I assume he checks the river, how many value bet in this spot vs. taking the free showdown?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you know he will almost always bluff at the river then checking the turn is fine because you have no fold equity after he coldcalls on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking was essentialy along these lines. I was very sure I had about zero fold equity against this guy and that I would often get bet into on the river with a worse hand. I think its still a value bet given his range here.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 AM

bet the turn