Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Too aggresive?

I'm fairly new to omaha/8 and still learning the game. I play tight before the flop and I'm getting better after the flop. In this hand I have tons of draws and decided to really push. The table has been playing lots of hands for two bets cold so I think my preflop play was standard. What do you guys about pushing draws postflop?

PokerStars 1/2 Omaha/8 (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (15.20 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (27.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero folds, Button folds.

Final Pot: 29.20 BB
Old 05-01-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: Too aggresive?

Given that these guys don't seem to be going anywhere, I like it. As you said, you have way too much equity to be passive when 4 people are calling your raises. Unfortunate you missed all of those outs.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:52 AM

I play it the same, and can't see much argument for anything different on any street.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my preflop play was standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys about pushing draws postflop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shawn - You push draws postflop if you have favorable odds to do so (and you do here).

I think with the number of outs you have, even though most of your outs are not for the whole pot, you need three opponents to jamb the betting on the third betting round. If that is true then even though the turn was no help to you, going backwards, you easily have enough outs to jamb on the second betting round.

Therefore I think you bet correctly on the second and third betting rounds.

I limp or raise on the first betting round, based primarily on the effect I think my action will have on my opponents, on this and later betting rounds, more than because of the cards I hold. I don't find any fault with your raise on the first betting round as long as you don't alert your opponents as to your holding. Hard to tell what the effect might have been on later betting rounds had the turn or river been favorable for you. Hard to tell what the effect might be on future hands when you don't raise before the flop. Whatever.

Too bad about the turn and the river. Just a bit of bad luck for you. It happens.

You played perfectly, in my humble opinion, on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th betting rounds, and I really have no comment one way or the other on your pre-flop raise.

To address your concern, I don't think you played too aggressively here.

Buzz
Old 05-02-2005, 09:02 AM

Wow,

Bad luck. I really like this play.

Everyone is on a draw until the straight comes on the river and you are drwing to the nuts in SO MANY ways (low draws, straight draws and flush draws)....one of those has got to come in....

I would take my chances with this hand in a heart beat.

Sorry it didn't work out. This had scoop or 3/4 written all over it.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:57 AM

Usually I would just call on the flop, so that I don't scare away customers. But since you were pretty confident that they'd cold call two bets, this looks good.