Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 03:36 AM

Default pair of aces

I have had this problem a couple of times. I raise on 3th with an ace up and get three cold calls(none of my cards are dead). On 4th street I don't improve and it does not look like any one has either, so I bet again and everyone calls. On 5th same thing as 4th I don't improve but as far as I can tell no one else does either. What should I do now? I don't want to give a free card. But betting out has not worked to well for me in this spot. Sorry if this is easy question. Thanks
Old 03-19-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Re: pair of aces

Generally you should keep betting. You'll lose a lot, but you should win more than your fair share if noone's board looks scary.

However, if you are getting a ton of callers you may want to try some other tactics to get some people out. This could include limping on third so you can raise later, checking hoping to checkraise a player to your right, or in extreme cases even giving a free card in order to keep the pot small and get a chance to raise someone later (assuming you are ahead, if the pot is small ppl will be making big mistakes if you raise on 5th and they call).
Old 03-19-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Hello,Leo! With split A\'s,continue to drive ..

5th and 6th. Check 7th if U don't improve. Against one Oppon. on 7th ,check and call;against more than one,check and fold if someone bets.
H [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]appy pokering,
SittingBull
Old 03-19-2005, 08:10 PM

Read 7CS4AP.

Generally speaking, since no one is showing anything, you more than likely have the best hand and should continue betting. To be sure, you have more than 25% pot equity most of the time, so this is a bet for value as much as anything else. If a couple of people fold, great. Whether or not you continue firing on sixth depends on what's out, and whether you managed to get anyone to fold on fifth.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:40 AM

I think you almost always want to bet 5th. You probably have the best hand, and alot of people stop chasing with some poor hands on 5th. Give them a chance to fold. On 6th you can decide to check unimproved in a crowd since if they called 5th they'll probably see the river anyway.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:10 PM

In general, there are 2 streets you are most likely to get people to fold, 3rd and 5th street. Most people who stay in on 3rd stay in on 4th, and most people who stay in on 5th stay in on 6th (and a lot of those will call the river bet especially heads-up). This is of course in general. A lot of people also like to chase cheap on the earlier rounds and bail out once the bets get expensive on 5th street and their hands have not improved. So betting 5th street in your scenario is a must. If the boards stay non-threatening on 6th I'd bet that street also.

If you don't have much luck remember, I you win this scenario (against 3 players) 33% of the time you are actually doing OK even though it sucks to see your Aces go down 2 out of 3 times to some 2 little pair.

Also try some check raising to send people 2 bets cold. On the big bet rounds this is especially effective to get people out.