Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Was this even a good idea

As I review this play I can't decide if it was -- as I thought at the time -- a bit of a longshot, but the best chance I had; or something I want to remember never to try again. Your thoughts please.

Party 10+1 SNG.
Total number of players : 4
CO (3475)
SB(2175)
Hero (1230)
UTG(1120)
SB posts small blind (150)
Hero posts big blind (300)
** Dealing down cards **
Hero [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
UTG <font color="red"> raises </font> to 1120, all-in, two folds, Hero calls all-in.

Normally I'm a big believer in waiting and surviving and anything can happen. Which is what I would have done in a heartbeat against the chip leader or second stack. The big problem here was that my closest competitor would be getting the chips. I would have four or five hands left to hope for a better opportunity, which I could reasonably expect to see, certainly a nice coin flip chance at least, but the other part of the problem seemed to be that if I didn't see that on my very next hand in the SB then my chip stack would be so small that even with a win or a blind steal I would still trail UTG and be in the same position again of having no more than four hands to make something or be blinded away.

I thought that my likely 35-40 percent chance of simply beating UTG here with an underdog hand and being ITM was more likely than surviving two coin flip hands that might still leave me as the small stack on the bubble.

The cards came like this (in white): <font color="white">
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ] </font>
Old 03-16-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Was this even a good idea

Right or wrong, I am impressed with the thoroughness of your thought process here. I wish I put that much thought into all of my critical decisions.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:38 AM

no. but thats ok, thats why we post. if you fold you are left with 930 chips. utg will have 1570 after stealing the blinds. 3x BB IS still enough to get some fold equity. i would push my sb on the next hand almost any 2 if its folded to me. if not, i still get 2 free hands then i can decide what to do NEXT BB.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:02 AM

If you are calling here with basically any two why not shove before this? This is assuming you didn't do that of course.