Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 01:42 AM

Default Sports rules changes you would like to see changed

George Carlin has a famous bit about rules changes for sports, but I am looking for more...

I wish the NFL would allow players to be picked up and thrown. In the 80's you had the Refrigerator getting the goal line carries...let's go the opposite direction...have the biggest lineman on the team line up in the backfield next to a midget (or liitle person, dwarf, freakishly tiny dude, whichever PC term you prefer..just not the ones with the tiny hands or they will fumble too much) and the QB will hand the midget the ball and he will be picked up by the lineman and chucked into the end zone. Maybe give an extra 3 if he clears the uprights. The other team would have to counter by tossing their own midget(s) into the air to try to collide and stop the other one before they cross the plane of the end zone. It would revolutionize the game.

Goal line opportunities aren't the only role though...you could do the same thing for blocking field goals.

Let's liven up some of these games..especially the low scoring ones like hockey and soccer.

I do enjoy the recent changes to the PBA tour...where the bowlers trash talk into the camera. ("Oh yeah Baby, there's plenty more where that came from!!!") It is only a matter of time before they are allowed to creatively interfere with the other bowler.

I need a hobby.

JSJ
Old 12-07-2004, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Sports rules changes you would like to see changed

I didn't know they still played hockey?
Old 12-07-2004, 02:08 AM

I wish all divisions of college football had instant replay. Some of the calls refs make are just plain wrong.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:17 AM

the "tuck" rule
Old 12-07-2004, 05:40 AM

I never liked the fact that the defensive linemen can be called for "offsides" if his flinch "draws" the O-lineman out of his stance. I stayed on my side of the ball, never even came into the neutral zone, and **I'm** offsides?

Also, I'm the only man in America who doesn't like it when the game stops for 20 minutes so the official can go look at a replay. I was SO in favor of replay when the debate raged before it was introduced. But it's too much of a disruption to the game. I'd rather deal with a few blown calls per year, then putting every other mundane play under the microscope.

I watched Tony Dungy challenge a play this week. The opponent's QB was hit while his arm was cocked to throw. The ball came lose, and a linebacker picked up the ball. The whistle blew immediately, and it was ruled on the field that the QB's arm was moving forward, incomplete pass.

I'm thinking, "Close call, but they can't review it. The play was whistled dead." Dungy tossed the red flag anyways.

The ref announced, "OK, we'll look at it. But if it wasn't an incomplete pass, the defense STILL doesn't get the ball--we'll just call it a sack." We wasted ten minutes to see if the next play would be 2nd and 10, or 2nd and 13.

PHOOEY!
Old 12-07-2004, 05:44 AM

Just thought of another one: only defenders lined up on the line of scrimmage are allowed to leap to block a kick.

WHAT KIND OF NONSENSE IS THAT? You're going to outlaw LEAPING?

If this rule was put in to combat a rash of injuries sustained by O-linemen, let's change the rule to this: Leap all you want, but if you land on an opponent, it's 15 yards.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:32 AM

To fix hockey, easiest thing is to can the red line in the NHL (if it ever comes back)

Widening the goals would be better as well. The goals are ok, but with the increased size in goalie equipment the amount of open space has collectively shrunk. Now I understand players shoot harder, and I dont have a problem with the safety of goalies in mind. You do have to increase the size of the goals to make the same amount of empty space as their used to be.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:24 PM

In football, defensive pass interference should be 15 yards from the line of scrimage or half the distance to the goal, with automatic 1st down. Right now, if you interfer in the end zone, the ball is placed on the 1 yard line. That could be a 50 yard penalty, and it is the only penalty that can be more than half the distance. You only get 15 for grabbing a face mask and trying to rip some guy's head off.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:41 PM

You would create too large an incentive to interfere on big passes to the endzone if you changed the rule.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:44 PM

Two words:
Designated Hitter
End of discussion.