Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Impressions of first visit to Foxwoods

I travel to Hartford on business every other week. This past Tuesday I decide to blow off the afternoon and finally make my first trip to Foxwoods.

The poker area was packed. Every table was full and most had waiting lists. Do any of these people have jobs?

I get on the $10/$20 HE list and land in a game within 1/2 hour.

It was an uneventful 3 hour session. One rather disheveled man at this table burned through $2,200 out of pocket while playing every hand.

I only play live 5-10 times per year. One thing that is universal to every live session I play is that there are always several players that discuss strategy and critique the play of others at the table. It is always nice when players are more than willing to tell you exactly how they play.

Two other amusing players were a sunglasses wearing guy who would call time during the play of a hand(this was only a $10/20 limit game) and another player who kept an unlit cigarette in his mouth.

I think that I may stop by again on the 18th. Hopefully I will get to play a little longer the next time now that I know where to park. I would also like to say hi to any 2+2 regulars who inhabit the room during this time.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Re: Impressions of first visit to Foxwoods

What's wrong with calling time?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:08 PM

cause its not the world series of [censored] poker.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:26 PM

He didn't say "call time and think for a long time," he just said "call time."

If you are going to think for 5-10 seconds (and this is totally reasonable, even in a 10/20 game), it's a courtesy to the dealer and the other players to call time, so they know you know it's your turn to act. Also, it keeps people behidn you from acting out of turn.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to think for 5-10 seconds (and this is totally reasonable, even in a 10/20 game), it's a courtesy to the dealer and the other players to call time, so they know you know it's your turn to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he meant for 5-10 seconds. Besides, if you need 5 seconds to think about a hand, then take the 5 seconds. You should only call time when you are going to take an abnormal amount of time to think about the play of a hand. Good dealers know this, and most players in a game (especially 10-20) should realize when it is their turn to act or not.

On a lighter side: when I was at the Commerce, peole would often call "time" during a hand. No, the limit wasn't 10-20 or 100-200, it was the 1-2 limit game! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Joe
Old 02-08-2005, 11:15 PM

I noticed when I went to the west coast last year at the Commerce and Hustler, people seemed to call "time" right away. In fact, when I stopped to think for less than 5 seconds, an annoyed guy says, "Time" for me, because i didnt say it. On the East coast we dont really do that. So I wouldnt make that big a deal out of his call of time, where he plays that may be routine.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:04 PM

Interesting. I may be of the opinion I stated above because I have been doing much of my B&M playing on the West Coast these days.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed when I went to the west coast last year at the Commerce and Hustler, people seemed to call "time" right away. In fact, when I stopped to think for less than 5 seconds, an annoyed guy says, "Time" for me, because i didnt say it. On the East coast we dont really do that. So I wouldnt make that big a deal out of his call of time, where he plays that may be routine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played in games in AC where many of the players called time if they were going to pause to think at all. Most of these guys were solid mid-limit players who usually played extremely fast, but were in a tough spot.

I've never seen a moron ask for time in a small game, but I'm not surprised that it happens thanks to the teevee...

scrub
Old 02-10-2005, 01:31 PM

Default My Point About Players Calling Time

Since 99% of my play is online and decisions are made instantly it just seemed odd that in a game as low as $10-20 that players would regularly call time when facing a decision.

The game was very loose and very passive with several weak players. I, believe that there is a passage in HPFAP where the author states that against weak players you should act quickly and not give any indication to your opponents that you think about your decisions.

Also, with the snails pace that live games are played, you should be able to determine your decision for each possible action of your opponent before they act.