Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 PM

Default TT UTG

Pacific Poker 1-2
6 players, 6 max

BB is loose preflop, he will play any two. He has shown moderate aggression postflop.

Raise flop instead of turn? Fold to turn 3 bet? Fold to river bet?

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero raises, MP folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.5BB) 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB 3-bets, Hero calls.

River: (13.5BB) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB bets, Hero calls.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: TT UTG

Raise the flop. Do not let overcards see a cheap turn.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:22 PM

I am reraising the flop. Our hand isnt good enough to slowplay with 2 to a flush or straight. Then I bet the turn and if he raises me I will call down to the river.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:29 PM

Raise the flop. Unless someone has a 5, you probably have the best hand and want to make it expensive for overcards to call.

Raising the flop, would have increased your chances of playing the rest of the hand HU against BB. Then if BB continues to bet you would like to see a showdown as cheaply as possible.

You achieved the same result by raising the turn, but it was probably more expensive than it would have been if you had raised the flop instead.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:30 PM

what is your logic for raising the flop but not the turn? raise the flop and make the other players call two bets cold with their missed hands
Old 09-22-2005, 03:39 PM

After I raise the flop:

If (a) BB 3-bets and the other players fold, I would call down HU against BB.

If (b) BB calls and the other players cold/call or fold, I would bet the turn if checked to.

Basically I would be raising the flop to try to play the rest of the hand HU against BB. Then if BB led the turn I would call down. However if BB checked the turn to me I would bet.

Hope that makes my play a bit clearer.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:47 PM

Grunch: Raise flop. Make everyone pay to draw out on you.

If you're in late position instead of EP, I believe that the concept of waiting until the turn to raise that Miller discusses in SSHE comes into play, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:12 PM

Raise the flop. If it was just heads up, I would wait until turn to raise, but since you have five opponents, you need to protect your hand against overcards and gutshots.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:24 PM

I like waiting for the turn, pot is relatively large. Anyone hanging around on the flop will probably call for two cold anyway I suspect.

If we raise the flop we might get checked to on the turn and that would suck. There are tons of cards we'd rather not see on the turn. Potentially: the case 5 or 7 (assuming someone has the 3rd), any heart (considering we only have the T), any overcard...

I think we wait for a safe turn, let BB bet into us and then face the field with two. Getting 3-bet on the turn sucks. I call down.

In short, I play it the same.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:51 PM

I don't think TT is strong enough to wait for the turn. What if the A (or any overcard) had fallen on the turn instead. That had probably would have forced our hero to fold if BB bet with 2 players behind us. If we held AA or KK it would be a different matter.

In this hand I would probably raise the flop and hope that CO and button folded and then call down/bet if checked to. Since BB plays any 2 I think the river call is fine.