Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Party $18k Guar - JJ SB just after 1st break

Just after first break in the Party $18k Guaranteed multi-table tournament. How did Hero play this?

And just to note: on the turn, Hero was thinking an Ace would bet more. (In addition to raising or folding an Ace pre-flop.)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (10 handed) converter

<font color="red">BB (t3435)</font>
UTG (t2550)
UTG+1 (t1790)
UTG+2 (t1530)
MP1 (t2037)
MP2 (t1215)
MP3 (t1040)
CO (t2400)
Button (t1870)
<font color="red">Hero (t2788)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, BB calls t150.

Flop: (t500) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t800</font>, Hero calls t550.

Turn: (t2100) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t900, Hero moves all-in for t1738</font>, BB calls t838.

River: (t3838) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t3838

(Just to note, though it shouldn't change your analysis, Hero was right, BB did not have an Ace.)
Old 05-28-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Party $18k Guar - JJ SB just after 1st break

If you're going to make a continuation bet here, make it a bit more than 50% of the flop.

I would have laid it down on the flop raise, seeing the position that you are in. You'll still be left with plenty of ammo and you're still not even close to push/fold mode.

Sorry that he hit his third five [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Blackjack
Old 05-28-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Party $18k Guar - JJ SB just after 1st break

[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to make a continuation bet here, make it a bit more than 50% of the flop.

I would have laid it down on the flop raise, seeing the position that you are in. You'll still be left with plenty of ammo and you're still not even close to push/fold mode.

Sorry that he hit his third five [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had been doing a bit of rip-n-run (didn't mention) and so thought his call could be with a wide range of hands. I bet the 1/2-pot because I thought he might raise me with a draw, hence I was planning on calling a raise and seeing what he did on the turn. When he bet weakly, I figured he missed his draw and was stabbing at my weakness, hence the push to get him to call with his inferior hand before he sees what card comes up.

I don't disagree with anything you said, just in this case I wanted to try to trap. I realize I'm pretty healthy, I just thought this was a good situation to try to get a lot more chips, hence the "semi-bluff" trap play heads-up. Is this a bad spot and bad player to try to trap at this moment?

Oh, replace "I" with "the Hero" above and also he didn't have trips at showdown.... any other guesses/comments?