Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Too loose?

Alright, so I'm really having a hard time playing those tables that just happen to have a whole bunch of really tight players at them such that at Level 4 or 5 there are still like 6-8 players left. I'm also starting to really believe what was posted by PrayingMantis </font> here, when he states that he believes that folding equity plays a much much larger role in higher buy-ins than in lower ones. The crazy fuckers at the 20's just CALL and CALL with hands worse than even this one... So was this too loose? How should I play situations like this where I'm short-stacked by the raising blinds but there are tons of people left?

*sigh* I love to hate to love this game.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (7 handed) converter

CO (t910)
Hero (t900)
SB (t2190)
BB (t1560)
UTG (t650)
MP1 (t1210)
MP2 (t580)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">Hero raises [900]5 folds</font>, BB calls t750.

Flop: (t975) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t975) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
River: (t975) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Results in white below:

<font color="white"> BB shows [ 8c, As ] a pair of fives.
Hero shows [ 6d, Qc ] a pair of fives.
BB wins 1875 chips from the main pot with a pair of fives with ace kicker
Old 06-28-2005, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Too loose?

I would most likely fold this there are so many people left that you have enough time to wait for a better hand than this before the blinds hit you.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
really tight players ... The crazy fuckers at the 20's just CALL and CALL with hands worse than even this one

[/ QUOTE ]

&lt;-- Contradiction?

You are short at &lt;10xBB but so are 4 other players. I understand blinds are beginning to make up a meaningful portion of your stack, but given how slowly they're going to come around w/ 7 players still left I think there are better situations to steal.

My $.02.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

{------ Contradiction?

You are short at &lt;10xBB but so are 4 other players. I understand blinds are beginning to make up a meaningful portion of your stack, but given how slowly they're going to come around w/ 7 players still left I think there are better situations to steal.

My $.02.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the bizarre thing is they tend to play very tight the whole game but then are willing to call your all-ins when blinds start getting high with something as mediocre as A8o. Seems like they don't believe me ever (and he was right in this situation) but that doesn't justify a call here. I'm just noticing myself getting called all the time when I push in late game to try to steal blinds. I'm not sure what sort of hand I'm supposed to wait for considering the fact that by the time the blinds got around to me they would have gone up again, and in losing 1 BB I would lose most of my FE. Isn't now the time when I have really excellent FE to make this move?
Old 06-28-2005, 06:23 PM

I'm by no means an expert. But:

1.) You have 4 hands before the blind hits you. If you're lucky you'll muster up something better than Q6o. It's going to suck open-pushing from UTG w/ A9o, but I'd rather do that than Q6o.

2.) You will be at 600 after you post SB/BB so you'll have 3xBB. BUT everyone else at the table will most likely have something similar in chips. There'll be some bizarre jockeying where people that have 1/3 of their stack in the blind will fold to an all-in. So don't count yourself out yet. Also, in 6 hands who knows how many people will be left.

Generally, if you think people are going to start calling all-ins preflop w/ crap, you need to tighten your standards and weigh position less. This is especially important because the table dynamic will shift greatly as people bust left and right.

My $.02.