Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Out of Position With a Dicey Flop - Borg 80 Game

Ok, semi-interesting hand. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the small blind at the Borg 80-160 game. Early MP open raises (he plays solidly, but a little overaggressive), two people coldcalls, fold to me in SB and I 3-bet. BB drops, everyone else calls. $960 pot, 4 players. Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, original preflop raiser calls and one of the coldcallers calls. The turn is an offsuit 5. What's your line? The preflop raiser is less likely to have a 10 though I'm somewhat worried about the coldcaller. Should I check here? Bet and call a raise? Bet and fold to a raise? If I'm ahead, a free card doesn't hurt much but I do miss a bet. Also, it's possible the preflop raiser could raise me with a hand I beat if I bet the turn. Comments? Results later.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Out of Position With a Dicey Flop - Borg 80 Game

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, semi-interesting hand. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the small blind at the Borg 80-160 game. Early MP open raises (he plays solidly, but a little overaggressive), two people coldcalls, fold to me in SB and I 3-bet. BB drops, everyone else calls. $960 pot, 4 players. Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, original preflop raiser calls and one of the coldcallers calls. The turn is an offsuit 5. What's your line? The preflop raiser is less likely to have a 10 though I'm somewhat worried about the coldcaller. Should I check here? Bet and call a raise? Bet and fold to a raise? If I'm ahead, a free card doesn't hurt much but I do miss a bet. Also, it's possible the preflop raiser could raise me with a hand I beat if I bet the turn. Comments? Results later.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn. If the preflop raiser raises you than call him down. If the preflop raiser raises you and the other guy reraises than fold. If the preflop raiser just calls and the other guy now raises you should fold there too. Most of the time you will have the best hand and make alot of money off of people calling you with their 2-3 outers so you must bet the turn.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:32 PM

I bet and consider check calling the river. I think your ahead here. I cant see myself folding here. What range could villian call with? q10? J10? 10 10 dare i say? I think he perhaps has JJ and thinks they are good. There are more combinations in which your ahead so I lead out and call. If i pick up a tell I raise or toss it. Otherwise I call him down.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:36 PM

Hey Jeff, I'd bet the turn and fold to a raise from the cold-caller unless he was thinking or aggro. Thinking player can raise 88 here for a free showdown, and aggro can raise a draw etc. Anyways, you going to be around AC next week? A bunch of us are going to be in town starting this weekned going through the following Sunday. I'll personally be there next Monday through Sunday.
James
Old 09-06-2005, 02:46 AM

check and call twice. You may get someone to bet there 88 twice. or there 99.

ALso you don't want to be calling a raise with AA when you bet the turn.

I would check and call 2 times but I would fold if the intial raiser bets out on the turn and the cold caller raises, but that didn't happen because you would have posted it, so just check and call 2 times.

This hand sucks because you are out of position.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
check and call twice. You may get someone to bet there 88 twice. or there 99.

ALso you don't want to be calling a raise with AA when you bet the turn.

I would check and call 2 times but I would fold if the intial raiser bets out on the turn and the cold caller raises, but that didn't happen because you would have posted it, so just check and call 2 times.

This hand sucks because you are out of position.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the hero does check the turn and the action goes: bet, call, the hero should now raise!! The preflop raiser is very unlikely to have a Ten in his hand so we are mainly worried about the other guy, once the other guy just calls the turn its time to raise with the nuts(for picky readers i understand that the hero doesnt actually have the nuts) in my opinion.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:52 AM

Hi Jeffage,

Check the turn. You do not fear a free card. Let them think you have a hand liek AK and their pair, if they have 1, is good.

If it comes back 2 cold, maybe you release. Otherwise, just call the turn bet, then decide whether to donk the river or check-raise, depending on the card and how aggressive you think he is.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 09-06-2005, 06:59 AM

I don't think this board is particularly dicey. There are no flush draws out there, no straights, and no face cards. The only thing that has you beat is a ten. Overall this is a better than average board for your aces.

I'd bet and call down if raised.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:58 AM

Check/call if it was h/u. I don't like checking 3 way if the coldcaller is good or tricky. Too easy to get pushed off your hand if the raiser bets out and coldcaller raises for free showdown.

Bet out and go from there. Fold to a raise if there was a caller in between. If coldcaller raises after a fold, I'm not sure you're behind. Depends on your read.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:10 PM

Default RESULTS

Thanks for responses (more welcome). I decided to bet the turn. The preflop raiser raised and the coldcaller folded (which was a bit of a relief). I thought there was a good chance I was beat, but not sure enough to fold. I called. I then check-called the blank river and got to look at A10s. Well, that sucked. More comments appreciated...I just figured I couldn't miss a bet there.

Jeff