Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2004, 04:20 AM

Default \"B\" games and even \"F\" games

Don’t you just think poker is much more of a battle against yourself than the opponents. More so than any other game, when I used to play chess I’d always play my “A” game, unless I was tired, even then it didn’t change my play that much. In poker there are so many ways to play your “B” game or even your “F” game. Once you have a good solid grasp of how to play the cards, then it’s often an easily avoidable mistake that lets you down. Not a marginal play, an outright stupid move. Usually making a wild loose play of some sort.

“B->F” game playing can occur when:

You suffer a series of beats
You make a poor play – This puts me on tilt in a big way.
You are tired
You are emotionally upset about something
You don’t respect you opponents*
You fear your opponents
You have been drinking or drugging
Your bankroll is too small
You make it personal with another player and are out to get them
Any others?

*This is the root of a lot of my problems when playing online. I just don’t respect online players and I tend to make over aggressive plays because of this. This really struck home yesterday when I was playing in a low cost tournament online. Entry was only 10$ but 7500$ guaranteed so prizes where very good, 2000$ for first place. I’d made several poor plays, and one dreadful one but even so had a good sized stack when 120 left in. Top 40 pay so have a very good chance of getting into the money. I made another really poor play and got knocked out.
Now if the buyin had been 100$ no way would this have happened. I would have given my opponents the respect they deserve and would be concentrating much harder on the game.
I’m think the best way to improve my poker now is to study Zen Buddhism and learn some self control. In fact there is a "Zen and art of Poker" book. Anybody read it?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Re: \"B\" games and even \"F\" games

Just borrow it from the Library, It was interesting but I am glad I didn't pay for it.