Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 PM

Default To those who play GSIH style no limit...

There will be days when you lose every coin flip.
It happens, so just take it in stride.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: To those who play GSIH style no limit...

GSIH = x

x = ?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:45 PM

x = Ed Miller's beginners book.

I'm a limit player, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. But from what I saw from flipping through his book, he outlines a short-stack no-limit approach. Buy in for the minimum, and get all your money in preflop or on the the flop with a select group of hands. Basically reduce the chances of making mistakes post-flop.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:04 PM

That's mostly correct, although eliminating postflop mistakes isn't the only reason you buy-in short. Another reason to play so short is that you basically kill implied odds, which a lot of your opponents won't notice or understand how to adjust. For example, when someone calls your raise with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], they would have some chance of winning a big pot from you if they outflop you and your stack is still large. If you don't have much of a stack left over after your raise, what will happen is that most of the time they miss the flop, you push and they fold, or every once in awhile they break you, but they don't win enough when they do to make their preflop call correct.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:51 AM

x == "Getting Started In Hold'Em" by Ed Miller

Even if you have read SSHE (Small Stakes Hold'Em), GSIH is still a great supplemental read. I've also found that practicing GSIH NL style has improved my limit game as I am more willing to wait for a big hand when I am at a great table, rather than gambling it up with a marginal hand.

Thanks Ed!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:54 AM

This short stack strategy, if you win first time, do you then leave the table? Or stick it out for more wins?

I use a site that doesn't let you rejoin the table unless it's for the same amount or more. Don't most sites do this?
Old 08-10-2005, 08:07 AM

I would like to add that the short stack chapter is 14 pages but he covers big stack play in 9 pages too. I got the book yesterday so I havent come to that part yet. Feel free to ask any question(s) about the book.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to add that the short stack chapter is 14 pages but he covers big stack play in 9 pages too. I got the book yesterday so I havent come to that part yet. Feel free to ask any question(s) about the book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got it on order after reading this thread, and checking the amazon reviews. However, am on holiday next week so won't get a chance to try out this until the week after [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I'd be interested if anyone can tell me what to do once you won though?

Mr Miller, are you there? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Your book sounds pretty awesome from the reviews - can't understand how I coulda missed it for so long.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You continue to win [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ed covers medium and large stack play a little bit and offers other books to read to continue your development. If I was just starting out and playing on the internet, then I'd probably leave once I had doubled up once or twice. That way you can table jump and continue to build your bank roll with minimal risk.

Since I play live games where you have to take your money with you, when I've doubled or tripled up, I've had to rely on the little bit of space Ed devotes to playing the bigger stacks and also watching how the other big stacks play. It comes down to implied odds and position.

As a short stack, you play the same game no matter what. As a medium or big stack, you're looking to exert pressure on the small stacks and dig deep inside the other big stacks. I think Hold'Em for Advanced Players has helped a lot, even though it mostly focuses on limit play.

btw - Don't be afraid to lose a big stack. If you started out GSIH style, then think of it as free money the rest of the table gave you so that you could learn how to take even more of their money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. Often when my stack gets bigger I decide that I'm in the mood to go back for some limit. (Actually I try to time it so I play B&M NL for my last hour or so before leaving.) Sometimes I get my arse handed to me and chalk it up to training in medium-stack NL.