Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2005, 03:52 AM

Default HU stud vs HU hi-lo

I've been playing a TON of HU stud lately, mostly on paradise, where they have 2/4, 4/8 and 8/16 tables (haven't played any of the 8/16 yet), and i'm wondering if anyone else is into HU play, and, if so, what are some strategy/tips/etc... I can't find any websites or tips about playing HU, so I'm kind of figuring it out as i go.

one major thing that i've just noticed is that there is a world of difference between playing high only and hi/lo HU, mainly because of the bring in- in high only, the bring in is at a natural disadvantage because the worst card must bring it, wheras in hi-lo, the low card bring-in actually has an advantage... this makes for a lot more acceptable folds on third in hi-lo... thoughts?
Old 06-18-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: HU stud vs HU hi-lo

I have played a small amount of HU H/L and have noticed that low hands don't have a whole lot of value unless they have pretty obvious scooping potential like 456, having an Ace in the hole is always good and other hands that can swing both ways. Even though you have to play a lot more hands obviously hands like 852 still arent even worth playing in my opinion. Also just having a bunch of overcards to your opponents door card is good. Heads up is mainly a battle between the players and not their cards. Take this for what its worth though bc I dont play a great deal of this.