Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 05:00 AM

Default What am I doing wrong?

Howdy all I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to post something. Limit holdem is driving me insane!

Here are my poker tracker numbers for 2/4 limit. I cant seem to get anywhere at this game. I beat 25, 50 and 100 nl for about 36k this year and want to learn how to play limit now. Can anybody help?
Hands 21544
vpip 14.93
vpipsb 23.25
folded sb to a steal 84.21
att to steal 24.16
won $ wsf % 32.78
amount won 168.70
bb/100 .20
went to showdown 29.75
won at showdown 56.10
preflop raise 8.16

Can anybody see what I am doing wrong here? I think I have a huge leak in the blinds because I am winner out of every position except the blinds. I know after a good number of hands you should not be winner from the blinds but I think I am bleeding there badly.
Here are my winnings in the current dbase by position
button 791
1. 862
2. 631
3. 708
4. 440
5. 4.0
6. 725
7. 177
BB -2521 diff w/o blind +2686
SB -1651 diff w/o blind +813

Does anybody see any glaring problems? How about my win at showdown is that a good number or should it be higher? I would really like to talk to someone who is regularly beating this limit and higher. I used to do fairly well at No limit 8 tabling and now started 8 tabling the limit games. If anybody has any suggestions besides going back to No Limit I would appreciate it.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: What am I doing wrong?

variance is your problem. Maybe you are doing too few 3-bets vs donks preflop too.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:49 AM

Your post should probably go here and most of your questions are answered in the excellent FAQ thread here.

Only things that stand out to me are that your vpip and PFR are a little low.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:04 AM

You are too tight, both from normal hands and the sb. Good limit holdem is about playing your marginal hands well, extracting the most that you can with hands that you normally dump - hands like 2nd pair etc. Most average players just dump these hands citing them as too difficult to play. But it's those hands that give you your leverage. You're not going to be dealt AK every other hand.

Try playing 1/2 6max. It teaches you both how to defend your blinds and how to play marginal hands well.

Plus, nobody is a winner from the blinds. You can't beat the effect of having to post. I am losing 0.18 per hand from the BB and 0.11 from the SB.

As far as 8 tabling goes, you have to do that on automatic. You can't make reads very well and you can't make marginal plays. If you're having trouble beating limit I seriously suggest that you cut down on the number of tables that you're playing and work it slowly back up as your winrate improves.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:38 AM

You should post your aggression stats.

And, as previously said, if you're 8 tabling and barely beating the rake, you should stop 8 tabling until you're a better player. I don't think you're gonna improve your game much while 8 tabling.