Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 12:21 AM

Default ???s for conservatives and repub supportters- Delay

So... Most conservatives on this board seem to be buying into the notion that the Delay indictment is politically motivated... it might be politically motivated and baseless, it might be politically motivated but still true, it might be not politically motivated and untrue... etc...

I have a couple questions:

How much evidence would you need to decide/admit that this guy's as crooked as a dog's leg? would conviction be enough?

what chance, expressed as a %, do you think there is that he IS guilty... i personally (and i am a lib) feel that it's about 50-50 right now, politically influenced but not motivated primarialy by the ideological stance of the prosecutor, and serious enough to be an appropriate matter for a jury to decide.

thoughts? vulturesrow, i am especially intrested in your (generally objective for a con) opinion...
Old 09-30-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: ???s for conservatives and repub supportters- Delay

[ QUOTE ]
How much evidence would you need to decide/admit that this guy's as crooked as a dog's leg? would conviction be enough?

[/ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't it be enough? Innocent till proven guilty, isn't that how it works?

I have no idea if DeLay is guilty or not. Honestly, I haven't followed the story much. If he's found guilty, fry him.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's found guilty, fry him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's accused of a rather minor offense of transfering funds from A to B in violation of campaign finance laws. Not a frying offense.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's found guilty, fry him.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's accused of a rather minor offense of transfering funds from A to B in violation of campaign finance laws. Not a frying offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure he didn't mean execute him.

What he actually did was take donations to the RNC and have it laundered to Texas legislative campaigns.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:37 AM

A conviction by a jury outside Travis county.

what chance, expressed as a %, do you think there is that he IS guilty... i personally (and i am a lib) feel that it's about 50-50 right now, politically influenced but not motivated primarialy by the ideological stance of the prosecutor, and serious enough to be an appropriate matter for a jury to decide.
Between ZERO percent and .000000000001%.
But since it took Ronnie Earle *****FIVE***** grand juries to get DeLay indicted, I'd say it is ZERO percent.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:42 AM

Autocratic's correct. I didn't mean kill him. More like remove him from office, fines/jail, whatever. If he's convicted fairly.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not sure how to quantify it. If he were convicted Id probably take a look at the evidence brought against and see what I thought.

My basic feeling is that this is almost certainly politically motivated, given Earle's history. That doesnt mean that he isnt guilty. However I tend not to get fired up about a lot of the campaign finance stuff. There are two basic reasons why. One is that I am pretty certain a large percentage of these guys fudge these rules in some form or another, and the second reason is that I have a lot of issues with much of the campaign finance laws. Take that for what its worth.

Delay has done some good work for the Republican party. But I am not really a fan of his. In the long run, I honestly dont think this will have much of an affect on the Republican party and might actually turn around on the Dems if he doesnt get convicted.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:25 AM

Didn't Delay do the correct and honorable thing in resigning?
Old 09-30-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't Delay do the correct and honorable thing in resigning?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that was required by House rules.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:43 AM

Felix,

I read your posts in the other thread about this. I never got an answer. Evidently you didn't have the thread marked so you didn't know it had been updated. Would you take a minute and answer my post. TIA