Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 02:28 PM

Default QJs - thoughts on my play here.

I was in the BB.

UTG called. MP called. folded to the button who raised. SB called I called, UTG called and MP Called.

Flop came.

2(h) 7(s) Q(c)

UTG checked, MP checked, Button bet, SB called, I raised - UTG folded, MP called, Button called, SB called.

9(s) on the turn.

Everyone checks to me - I bet. MP folds, Button calls SB folds.

Now the Button had reluctently called. I noticed that on the raise and my subsequent bet he really didn't want to call. I put him on a Q - but from previous play, noted that he played solid cards.

Blank comes on the river.

Checked to me on the river - and I checked.

He turned over KQo and took down the pot.

thoughts on this play?
Old 05-31-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: QJs - thoughts on my play here.

[ QUOTE ]
Now the Button had reluctently called. I noticed that on the raise and my subsequent bet he really didn't want to call. I put him on a Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

If button is "reluctantly" calling, it usually isn't with TPGK. I was going to say I hated the river check-through, but this is a live B&M game. I can see a lot of players who would check-call down with KQ/AQ. These same people will often pitch JJ or something at a sign of trouble too. If you can confidently say that you are familiar enough with his play that he would not call a river bet with JJ/TT or AK and could not have a worse Q, then I suppose it is fine. Many opponents, though, will both put more pressure on with TPGK or call down with many lower pairs.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:55 PM

ur post is a little wacky
how come ur not acting 2nd post flop since ur BB (eg. people checking to you on the turn??)
Old 05-31-2005, 02:56 PM

You have to bet this river here. B&M players in general are bad and loose. They will usually call down with any part of the board. They also usually become quite passive in the face of aggression, even when they have very good hands. So every once in awhile you might scare a better hand into calling you down. But you still have to bet in this spot.