Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 08:51 PM

Default QQ on this board?

UTG seems solid but I do not have any specific reads.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($1317)
UTG ($703)
MP ($1114.12)
CO ($271.65)
Hero ($564)
SB ($75.74)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $21</font>, MP calls $21, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $21, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($72) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $50</font>, MP folds, Hero calls $50.

Turn: ($172) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $160</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $300</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $632

I think his preflop raise narrows his hand range down to AA-JJ and AK/AQ. Maybe I should pop it back preflop to see where I stand, but I do not want the pot to become that big so early.

I raised on the turn because 1) If he has a flush draw (AK/Qc/d) I want to charge him the maximum. 2) I want to get a cheap showdown, if he checks on the river I will check behind (unless it's a queen). I can't see him reraise here without having me beat here.

Is this line ok?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: QQ on this board?

I would have most likely raised preflop. After that, I'm unclear, because I rarely play QQ like that.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:18 AM

Whats your image at the table? How have you played your big hands? I think you need to raise preflop and then raise the flop to find out where you are. Raising on the turn costs more money and it also becomes less clear as to if you have the best hand or not because you waited soo long to raise. You might be good but you also might have opened yourself up to being bluffed because you waited so long to raise. I agree that this seems like he might have a pretty big hand but who knows when you didnt raise preflop and then on the flop.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:44 AM

You say you don't want the pot to become big early, but it is much cheaper to find out where you are at with a minraise on the turn rather than the flop and it will also control the pot.

If he plays back at you, you can fold the hand, just as you did rather instantly on the turn...

If he smooth calls hoping to c/r flop you can check behind on turn and call a modest bet on river. This will cost the same as your line but be cheaper. Sure it will give AKc a free card but at least AKc won't blow you off your hand then... it is worth it.

Also if you raise flop AJ is definitely checking turn... (this does NOT look like AJ, i think we can agree) if AJ is reallyu that aggressive then good for him his overvaluing of his hand paid off this time. But seriously, if you minraise the flop (since that's what you did, personally i would raise like 1/2 pot so villain doesn't just blow me off my hand sensing weakness) and fold to more aggression on flop or turn/check behind on turn, call river, I think it keeps the pot where you want it and gets you to a showdown.