Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Reverse ace high call down

Opponent is very LAG.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 09-17-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Reverse ace high call down

With no real draws on the board I think this line is fine against an opponent who bluffs excessively. When I do it he inevitably pairs the river.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:09 AM

If I'm going to call down anyhow, I would generally bet the turn. Sometimes even the LAGs will fold.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:16 AM

I would rather give him the chance to bet a weaker hand than give him the chance to do three things I don't like. I don't want him to raise me on the turn where I should consider folding. I don't like him folding a weaker hand, he's not folding a pair. I don't like him calling either, because no river play is good, maybe check/call is best. I do like betting into him because it gives him a good chance to bluff which he will often do.
Old 09-18-2005, 12:23 AM

huh? Your post started like you were making arguments as to why op should play as he did ie check/call the turn. Then you finish by wanting to bet into him so he can bluff?

I'm confused
Old 09-18-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With no real draws on the board I think this line is fine against an opponent who bluffs excessively. When I do it he inevitably pairs the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

No real draws? There's both a flush and straight draw.
Old 09-18-2005, 02:21 AM

I say very standard... a LAG will generally bet his missed flush the whole way
Old 09-18-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm less likely to call down when someone bets into me with no draw on the board...
Old 09-18-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No real draws? There's both a flush and straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, poorly worded. If our villian is very lag we expect him to go nuts with a flush draw on the flop. Same for an OESD, which is pretty damn unlikely with this board anyway. I doubt villian is drawing here and if he is its a gutshot at best.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm less likely to call down when someone bets into me with no draw on the board...

[/ QUOTE ]

Our villian is LAG, meaning hes going to steal when he can and often when he cant. He bets w/o made hands consitently, so our concern is the equity issue. The risk of a free card is small because I think hes betting his draws on the flop. Most of the time (or reasonably close), even when he bets, hes drawing, so we can get value out of ace high. We might have some fold equity if he hasnt hit, but LAGs love to bluff paired turns. If I don't think he has a draw which hurts our equity (possibility that hes paired + possibility of his draw hitting) I'm willing to sacrifice the fold equity I have in favor of the chance hell bluff with zip.

I'm drinking and I'm not sure that was clear, but bottom line, if we are going to let him bluff do it when our equity is at its best.