Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 11:40 PM

Default raised 88, JTx flop

No read on villain. Though he could have been raising a draw so didn't want to give free card. Was gonna fold to turn raise. Is this line ok?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (6.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.70 BB
Old 03-19-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: raised 88, JTx flop

you are better off giving the villain a free card then check-folding the river. at least that way you would know where you are at.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:44 PM

i don't see that option?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:00 AM

I don't really understand your advice. Do you think I should check/call turn and river here? How would you play the hand?
Old 03-20-2005, 12:13 AM

i would check fold.

i wasnt really giving advice specifically for this particular hand, i was just trying to clarify that your thinking is a little off here. you have such a marginal hand, but you 3bet the flop just in case villain is on a draw. this is pretty much spewing, but reasonable so far. however, look at what good it did you. you ended up having to checkfold. now granted, you may have only checkfolded because virtually every draw hit, but what if the turn and river were blanks? you really want to invest another 2-3BBs in order to see a showdown with this cheese? id feel much more comfortable calling the flop and checking the turn, hoping that villain takes the free card. if he does, you know that youre ahead and can see a showdown as long as the draws dont hit. if villain bets the turn, i have no problem check-folding. let him have this one, your hand blows. you cant just run people over out of position like this whenever there is a potential draw on a board. you are going to spew ALOT of chips.