Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Flopped Straight: Li\'l Help, Please

Comments on my line?

Party Poker NL $200

Hero is in the BB with $406. Hero has been playing decent TAG. Villain is in late position with $194. Villain has seemed ok; he would be reasonably competent in my usual $50 NL game, but seemed sub-par-ishly LAG for this level. No specific read, and no PT stats.

All fold to villain, who calls, $2. Button calls, Hero is BB with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero checks.

Pot: ~$6

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets $4, Villain raises to $10, button folds, hero raises to $30, villain calls.

Pot: ~$65

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $50, Villain calls.

Pot ~$165

River: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, Villain bets $40, hero calls.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Flopped Straight: Li\'l Help, Please

I think it looks fine. I think the big question is do you checkraise the river.

I play $25-$100 tables (depending on my mood) and I would rarely see the flush there. I think 90% of the time your hand is good here.

Though the checkcall works well.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:37 PM

I would full pot the turn, but other than that, looks good.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:47 PM

I'd probably full pot the turn just in case he's drawing. I'd consider check/pushing the river because unless he's a major donkey he isn't calling down with the flush draw, and he's committed with just about any sort of hand after he bets 40 on the river. I don't have a huge problem with your check/call though.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:11 PM

I would bet the river as I think he will call with more hands that he will bet there, and you will not induce a bluff by checking the river with the action on the earlier streets. Let him make a big call and put him all-in (or bet 70-80 $ if you want to be silly), he will often call with 2 pairs or a bad slowplayed set.

Would you fold if he goes all-in on the river getting almost 3:1 on your call ?
Old 08-29-2005, 03:37 PM

folding to a push here would be based on my read; in this case, with this player, not only would I fold to an all-in on the river, I would insta-fold to his all-in on the river.

I had this guy on a flush draw, not a set, the whole time, so i definitely would have folded to an all-in. But he gave me irresistible odds on the river bet here, so I puked and called.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:08 PM

have you seen him raise on flush draws before? I think that the way this hand has panned out its wrong to think his only range of hands is a flush draw, your not going to fold if he puts his stack in, I actually think you should be betting for value here, like 1/2 pot. Does no one else agree with this?
Noah
Old 08-29-2005, 04:21 PM

I know that a flush draw is a very likely hand there, but he could also have a hand like A6, 55, 77, 88, 64, 63.. You said he was laggish so he can play a lot of trashy hands there for a limp. Thats why I would bet instead of check and call and let him bet his flush hands and check back the other ones who would have probably called a bet. In fact, betting something like 40-50 $ could also be right, and if he push he will almost always have the flush.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:16 PM

I also suggested that I would expect to NOT see a flush here more often then not. Hero priced the villain out of the flush draw.

If villain had the flush and calls with bad odds, hero should take note of it... and push the guy on the turn next time. Looks like he'd call it.