Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Paying off higher overpairs: A big leak for me

I tend to pay off higher overpairs when I have QQ or KK quite frequently.

Is this just a sad fact of life, or do I cut my losses after seeing heavy aggression preflop and then getting popped on the turn?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.50 BB
Old 06-14-2005, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Paying off higher overpairs: A big leak for me

With no read, this is an easy calldown.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to pay off higher overpairs when I have QQ or KK quite frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. I don't see how it could possibly be considered a "big leak" since it occurs so infrequently and you're not considering the times you "pay off" but win the pot against other, weaker, hands. You played this hand fine. You certainly can't fold in this situation heads up against CO who could be raising very light preflop and who could be capping preflop with AJ/99/TT or the remaining QQ and may play any of these hands similarly postflop.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:44 AM

You don't need to be ahead that much for these turn/river calls to be good. Yes, he's probably going to show you AA, KK, or JJ. However, folding here would be a mistake. I've seen too many people overplay AK, TT, and 99. Heads up, IMHO, its a big mistake to fold an overpair unless you have a HUGE read on a player.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:22 PM

After the co caps wouldn't check/call-check/call-bet be a better typical line here? Granted you would lose the same in this case but you might scare off AK betting into him after he caps.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:25 PM

I think there's too many times when opponent has AK with a single heart and you can't give a free card anywhere, can you?