Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 12:56 PM

Default Big stack & on the bubble -- correct play?

Two-table NL Hold'em on Party, we're down to 5 players, and the tournament pays 4. I've got the chip lead by a few hundred, and am twice as large as UTG, 3x as large as the Button. Question is, did I play this correctly given the PF betting, the tourney payout, and stack depth?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (5 handed) converter

UTG (t3460)
MP (t1160)
Button (t2640)
SB (t6515)
Hero (t6225)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1200</font>, MP folds, Button calls t1200, SB folds, Hero calls t600.

When it came around to me, there was 2700 + my 600 blind in the pot for a total of 3300... or 5.5:1 to call. I think I HAD to call with those odds this late in the going, at least to see a flop. Notice that if I hit the flop well, I could easily bust the Button here, and maybe UTG as well.

Flop: (t3900) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets t2260 (All-In)</font>, Button calls t1440 (All-In), Hero calls t2260.

Wow, got exactly what I wanted. I checked hoping Kx, A8, TT,99, etc. would move all-in. And I got that too. At this point, I typed "unless you've got trips, this one is mine" and called.

Turn: (t9860) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

I'd come to regret this card.

River: (t9860) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

So, before reading the results, did I do this right? Appreciate comments/insight, etc.

Final Pot: t9860
<font color="green">Main Pot: t8220 (t8220), between UTG, Button and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (t8220).</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t1640 (t1640), between UTG and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t1640).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Qd Ac (high card, ace).
Button shows 6h 6d (three of a kind, sixes).
Hero shows 8s Kh (two pair, kings and eights).
Outcome: Button wins t8220. Hero wins t1640. </font>
Old 08-08-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Big stack & on the bubble -- correct play?

That is a bad preflop call. You are more likely to double through UTG or the button than to bust them, since you will never get away from a king high flop with these stack sizes and your opponents will rarely have kings worse than yours. And 600 chips is still 10% of your stack.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Big stack & on the bubble -- correct play?

I like the preflop call, but I definitely pushin on this flop. That pot is like, half your stack, and you are ahead of every hand they could have except KK. The key to big stack bubble pressure is to bet big whether you have it or not, so they get tired of you being such a bully and call, except you will have it a large percentage of the time. Against two opponents, likely one of them will call your pushin and you will take a lot of chips off them because you are ahead.