Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2002, 07:35 AM

Default move or wait?

Small plhe rebuy tournament last night. The rebuys are over, there are
180k chips in play between about 45 players, so average stack is 4k.

I have completely failed to get going in the tournament and have 1900.
We are 7-handed, blinds 200-200. I feel like I need to make a move sooner rather than later - do others disagree?

UTG folds, it's up to me, I have A9s. I decide to play for the blinds and raise to 800. Button with 8000 chips flat calls. Flop is K67. I bet my last 1100, he calls with AQ and neither of us improve.

What do you guys think of the preflop raise? And the flop bet?

Guy.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:55 AM

Default Re: move or wait?

Guy

Tough one. Even after the blinds you are short stacked but not desperate i.e you can still put in a pot sized raise but you have a round in which you must at least pick up the blinds to survive

With most of the table still to play I would be inclined to fold A9s wait for a better hand or even a worse hand in a better position on the next round. The critical factor is what you know about the players to act particularly the late position players how likely are to fold given their earlier play and current chip position ?

If you play any hand at this point I would raise the pot before the flop which is what you did.

Post flop if you think there is a chance (better than 25%?)the button will put his hand down bet otherwise check & fold because it is to likely you are beaten.Trouble is with only 1100 you are not scarring someone with 8000.

Sure your stack is pretty meagre but you can survive with it, what the hell you might be dealt a big pair next hand and would it not be better to have your last 1100 committed to that hand rather than this rather hopeless position ?

regards

Ross

Old 11-25-2002, 12:01 PM

Default Re: move or wait?

I agree that you do need to make a move before the blinds increase. A9s is better than average. I likely play the same as you did assuming the blinds are going to increase in the next few minutes.

Ken Poklitar