Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Is it just me...

...Or are the Minutemen beginning to remind anyone else of the Ku Klux Klan?

Minutemen will be armed while patrolling Houston
By EDWARD HEGSTROM
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The Minutemen will come to Houston bearing arms.

Leaders of the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps of Texas had earlier said volunteers observing Houston's day laborers in October would carry nothing but video cameras.

But leaders now say those involved in the operations targeting local illegal immigrants will be allowed to carry arms as long as they comply with all federal and state laws.

In fact, those who have a concealed-weapons permit are being offered a discount on joining the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps. An Arizona-based organization, the Minutemen started out by patrolling the Arizona-Mexico border in April to prevent illegal immigrants from crossing, but the group has announced it will conduct a variety of operations here this fall.

Members are normally charged $50 to join, with the money used to conduct a criminal background check. Those with a valid concealed-weapons permit can have that fee waived, since they already have undergone a background check and met other requirements, such as a handgun course, to get the permit, said George Klages, spokesman for the Minutemen in Houston.

Klages said the Minutemen are all responsible, law-abiding citizens, and the use of arms will not cause problems here.

"About 50 or 60 percent of our members are veterans," he said. "These are people who know how to handle a weapon."

But critics worry about the Minutemen carrying arms in the city, and they think the group is giving special incentives to those able to carry concealed weapons.

"They only want people who are armed," said Juan Alvarez, a member of the Coalition Against Intolerance and For Respect, a newly formed group advocating for Houston day laborers. "It will incite violence."

Bill Parmley, the original leader of the Minuteman Texas chapter, said he had discouraged the use of weapons, particularly in urban operations such as the observations of the day laborers who wait for work on Houston streets.

Parmley resigned last month, citing racism among local members in the Goliad chapter. He now says he worries about the Minutemen being armed.

"Just because you can pass one of these concealed-weapons courses doesn't mean you have the mental capability to carry a firearm," he said.

Nationally, the Minuteman Civil Defense Corps has no policy forbidding members from carrying arms.

"We actually prefer that everyone have a concealed-weapons permit," said Chris Simcox, the head of the group.

But Simcox said weapons will be less important in a place like Houston than on the border, which is more dangerous and more remote.

Simcox has gotten in trouble with the law for being armed.

In January 2003, Simcox was arrested by federal agents, accused of entering Coronado National Monument in Arizona while armed.

He was convicted of entering a federal park with a loaded weapon and offering false information to a federal officer, both misdemeanors, and was sentenced to two years' probation, court records show.

Simcox noted that there were no signs marking the park boundary, and that park rangers seemed to be waiting for him.

Houston police are aware that some of the Minutemen will be armed, and officers will make sure that all laws are obeyed, said Lt. Robert Manzo, an HPD spokesman.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Is it just me...

There is a very convenient rule in America allowing this.

Its called the 2nd Amendment. Right to bear arms and have a militia. As long as they don't just go around shooting people, this is entirely legal. They're not going around lynching people or burning crosses.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a very convenient rule in America allowing this.

Its called the 2nd Amendment. Right to bear arms and have a militia. As long as they don't just go around shooting people, this is entirely legal. They're not going around lynching people or burning crosses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet...I seem to recall seeing a long history of armed private militias getting slightly out of hand
Old 08-20-2005, 01:41 PM

They are targeting illegales. How do they know who is illeagl, will they just ask ever Mexican-American for proof?
Ive done business in Houston and they will have there work cut out for them if thats the case. Having not been born here I take true offense to these redneck morans. This country was found on the belive that anyone can come here and make a better life.

Now these jackasses are basically saying...no, that was for or ancestors to make a better life and they did now no one else can. I dare anyone to question me and what Im doing here. What a bunch of peices of S H I T. If been reading about these asses lately and have kept a close eye on them.
This will probably end in bad, somebody will get hurt before its all over.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Your miltia is your State National Guard
Old 08-20-2005, 01:45 PM

Did I say they couldn't do it? Did I say it was illegal? I was merely noting a similarity...nothing more.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:49 PM

No you did not.......are one of them?
Old 08-20-2005, 01:50 PM

President Bush's denigration of them as vigilantes seems accurate.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:00 PM

Default Re: FOX

I did not now he said that, they must be very far to the right if the Pres. says bad things about them.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:10 PM

You must have missed the part about these rules:

[ QUOTE ]
In January 2003, Simcox was arrested by federal agents, accused of entering Coronado National Monument in Arizona while armed.

He was convicted of entering a federal park with a loaded weapon and offering false information to a federal officer, both misdemeanors, and was sentenced to two years' probation, court records show.

[/ QUOTE ]