Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Obvious call, correct?

Second hour of the Party $30 rebuy last night, rebuy & add-on periods are over. SB has been solid enough so far, no crazy moves that I've seen. Average stack size at the time was around t5800.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero (t11935)</font>
CO (t24704)
Button (t6655)
<font color="#C00000">SB (t3550)</font>
BB (t8142)
UTG (t5770)
UTG+1 (t2165)
UTG+2 (t6136)
MP1 (t15560)
MP2 (t5170)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t750</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB raises all in [t3550], <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t2800...?
Old 07-23-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Obvious call, correct?

I think that your PF raise was excessive, 3BB is plenty.

I think that this is an easy fold. AJs is a marginal hand at a full table. You could be behind to any PP here or be dominated with AA, AK, AQ.
Old 07-23-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that this is an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would fold, even given the relative stack sizes &amp; the strong possibility that the SB is pushing with a small or medium PP?
Old 07-23-2005, 09:30 PM

yes, I would fold this hand, because I am not even getting 2 to 1 on my call of his all in.

I double in tournaments all the time against people playing hands just like this AJ AT-A6.

You have over 11k in chips with blinds at 200, why risk 1/3 of your stack in this situation.

let's look at something here. You raised more than 3BB and the SB went all in for 17.5BB with the BB yet to act behind him. You have a little over 3x his chip stack and yet he doesn't care. He is no where near desparate at this stage with 17BB stack, and the read is he is a solid player.

Yeah, not too hard to fold this.

Old 07-23-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that this is an easy fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and it would be even easier if you had made a more appropriate raise PF. Make all your open raises at this level 3x bbs so that when you are raising with sh*t it wont be a large portion of the stack that you are risking.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:20 PM

yeah... i would second your analysis, good fold here
Old 07-23-2005, 11:53 PM

Wow, okay. Obviously I did call his all in bet and sucked out against his AK, which sent this guy (who had been joking around with me on the table chat) into a full-fledged tantrum that lasted 45 minutes. I'm confused about a few things that people are saying in this thread, tho...

For starters, I raised 3.5xBB instead of 3; I don't think this is that unusual and certainly not a huge difference between the "standard" 3xBB raise. No big deal as it's a very small point, but it seems like some folks are intepreting my raise as being much more than the standard. When my chip stack allows me the luxury of raising less than all in, I tend to vary my raises at random between 2.5 &amp; 4xBB throughout the tourney, so it certainly wasn't out of my character.

My reasoning in calling was this (and stems off of the infamous "chip blocks" thread that Gigabet started some time ago). True, by calling the all in I'm risking about 1/3 of my stack, but that 1/3 is fairly insignificant in comparison to the rest of the table &amp; tourney as a whole. If I lose I'm still sitting comfortably above the average chip stack &amp; with plenty of ammo for the current blind level. If I win, I move up to almost 3x the average, still well shy of the chip leader (seated directly to my left) but enough to prevent him from bullying me out of pots without risking his tournament life. There's also the added benefit of possibly taking out a solid player in the SB, admittedly balanced by the risk of doubling him up.

I felt at the time that this was an easy call to make because of these factors, but it seems that the prevailing thinking is that I was wrong.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that your PF raise was excessive, 3BB is plenty.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in this situation there's a big difference between 3xBB and 3.75xBB?

[ QUOTE ]
AJs is a marginal hand at a full table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that it is no longer a full table. It is now head up.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:56 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

I would fold as well, the pot odds don't work for your hand. At BEST you're coin flipping, and at worst you're dominated. Bad call, lucky suckout.

I had a player limp with A/J offsuit UTG when we're on the bubble in a tourney, full-table and I push UTG+1 with pocket 9's and he called and caught his Ace. His call was incorrect because:

1. We're on the bubble

But more so

2. His hand is likely beat, and again, at BEST coin flipping, at worst dominated.

He, like yourself, got lucky, and that happens. It still doesn't make the call correct, and in the long run you will lose more than you gain in these situations.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:28 PM

There is not a major difference between 3BB and 3.75BB true enough, but if it is a habit then it will add up. 2.5BB is too small to raise. Depending on the hand 3BB to 5BB in an uponed pot is fine, it is hand dependent in my view.

It was not heads up when he opened the pot for a raise the CO, Button, SB and BB had yet to act. That is 4 people, not to mention when this hand was dealt it was a full table.

Take a deck of cards and deal out 9 hands versus dealing say 5 hands. In the long run 5 handed will have fewer good hands. Hence, why hand values go up as you get shorter and shorter at a table.

AJ with 4 people yet to act is not terrible, but when the SB reraises 14BB or so and goes all in and he is a solid player by the read, makes this a very marginal hand in my opinion, and it would hit the muck.