Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 07:13 AM

Default A4s calling station hand at live 6/12

Live 6/12 good game, LAGgy preflop and pretty decent postflop. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and open limp in EP, MP, CO, button limp, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] checked to me and I check. MP checks, CO bets. CO would bet here with alot I'm pretty sure. Button raises. He is good, TAGgy type and knows CO well. BB coldcalls, I think briefly and coldcall, MP folds, now CO 3 bets and button caps, BB folds and I call 2 more and CO calls.

Turn is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] checked to button who bets, I call and CO calls.

River is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I check planning to call one bet if CO bets and fold if button bets.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-11-2005, 07:28 AM

Default Re: A4s calling station hand at live 6/12

I think that your river strategy sucks. When you fold to a button bet, you are in fact telling yourself that he flopped a set. You should have been long gone on the flop if this is the case. I honestly think that betting the river has more value then checking because you won't get raised unless they have a flush. If you check, the button might check something like AJ behind fearing a possible flush.

Brad
Old 02-11-2005, 07:37 AM

I didn't really have a feel for button's hand until he capped the flop, at which time I was pretty convinced he had at least 2 pair. After calling the first two though I didn't think I could fold for two more. The pot was getting huge and if he had the lower two pair a fold would be awful. The backdoor flush draw was on my mind as well.

[ QUOTE ]
If you check, the button might check something like AJ behind fearing a possible flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is quite likely as well. Don't you think this makes it an even easier fold if he bets anyway?

-DeathDonkey

ps: tournament sucked.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:44 AM

Well yeah. Check/calling is the worst option of the 3. Let's say that you will have the best hand here 10% of the time. However, when someone else bets you will only have the best hand 1% of the time. It is pretty easy to see that check/calling is dominated by betting. My problem with check/folding is that you put 2 BB into the pot with just a backdoor flush draw. When he caps the flop, it is time to dip out. You can't be calling the flop cap and then fold on the river when you connect. He doesn't have a flush, and by betting you at least somewhat neutralize a threat of a raise because you are repping the flush and a raise (from the CO) will probably = the nuts in which case you can fold. You really should have folded the flop if you are going to check/fold the river dude.

Brad
Old 02-11-2005, 07:48 AM

I'm still pretty new at this stuff so take it for what it's worth, but I'm folding the flop here. You have only a backdoor flush draw that's likely to win; you have no kicker so your ace probably won't hold up given the action. If you pick Button as a good player, when he reraises I think you need something more solid to take him on.

You are getting only 11:2 on your first cold call here. Even if you generously give yourself 5 outs you still don't have the odds. Of course, once you cold call the first time, you probably have to cold call again... which is why I'd rather fold in the first place.

Okay, how did I do? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 07:50 AM

Damn you are definitely right about the flop. I pretty much called with only the backdoor draw. You would have coldcalled the first two though right? I really thought he was free card raising the first time around and CO was a total goober and he knew this so I thought it could be alot of things I'm ahead of. I almost check / 3 bet.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:52 AM

Hi Dave,

I kind of agree with you but I wasn't counting outs because I thought I may have the best hand when I coldcalled the first time. What you said about coldcalling the second time because I did the first time was pretty much what I thought at the time. But now I realize that the situation totally changes when it gets 3 bet and capped and I may be drawing to only runner runner.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-11-2005, 07:54 AM

Yeah the 1st flop call is fine as long as you know what to do on the turn (like bet a blank). Honestly though, it wouldn't be very TAGgish for the button to raise CO's bet on a draw however we see it all the time. Seems more like a LAG play then something a good player would do.

So yeah the coldcall is meh but calling the cap is pretty bad given his range of hands. He pretty much has a set of 7's in this spot and that is about it.

Brad
Old 02-11-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Results

A night of sleep and now I'm more objectively able to look at this and man I didn't play great in this game. I never had any cards so I overplayed or stuck around too long with the marginal ones I had and lost a lot more than I should have.

Anyway the river went check, check, check and button turned up black AK. These 6/12 guys play weird and yet I still can't beat them :P

-DeathDonkey