Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Check-Raised in 10/20

This silly hand has been bugging me a little while. Thought I would post for comments.

I was in my first orbit at a 10/20 online table, and haven't yet developed much of a read on how anyone at the table is playing.

I am at UTG+1, and dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . UTG folds, and with 6 players and 2 blinds still to act, I decide to just limp in.

The next 6 players fold, SB calls $5, BB checks. There is $30 in the pot and 3 players.

The flop comes 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] . I don't like that Q very much.

SB checks, BB checks. I bet $10 hoping to pick up the small pot. SB folds. BB raises to $20.

I think there is a reasonable chance my hand could be good, but the checkraise on the flop seems to be begging for a loose call or even a reraise. If these were micro-limits, or a shorthanded game, I'd probably just call this guy down to see what he is up to. However at 10/20, I may have to put in another $50 to see if I am right or not. I decide because I don't have any read on the player at this time, and the pot is still small, I am just going to fold and give him credit for his fancy move... one time.

Comments?
Old 07-18-2005, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Check-Raised in 10/20

Without reads in an unraised pot, that's a good fold. You might want to call the raise and then fold the turn.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:39 AM

raise preflop
threebet flop
repost in small stakes
Old 07-18-2005, 03:53 AM

The hand is relatively simple. Three bet the flop and see what happens on the turn. You'll still have position, and initiative, and you get to showdown for 1/2 bb less then if you just call. I think folding here is usually wrong against an unknown, get some info.

What you need to hear relates to the quote below.

[ QUOTE ]
If these were micro-limits, or a shorthanded game, I'd probably just call this guy down to see what he is up to. However at 10/20, I may have to put in another $50 to see if I am right or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

This tells me that you need to move down. NOW. If you are looking at decisions in terms of dollar amounts, and not big bets, you are playing above your comfort level and probably your BR. The limit you're playing should have no bearing on your willingness to play a hand in a certain manner, the only thing that should influence that decision is your opposition. If you don't know them in this spot it can't be that big of a mistake to get to showdown and glean some information.

lf
Old 07-18-2005, 07:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Without reads in an unraised pot, that's a good fold. You might want to call the raise and then fold the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small pot, way its played, either call the raise, fold turn UI or just fold as it is.

And his move isnt what Id consider fancy, its probably pretty solid (no read though) if he has a draw or top pair he's putting a lot of pressure on u, and unless u have a decent hand you are going to have to fold. If he has a Q you are dead to 2 outs, if he has a draw w/ an over, he has a decent chance of drawing out.

EDIT EDIT: Not to mention, you called preflop and were checked to on the flop, he probably doesnt think u have much...but if he has a draw or Q he should have bet out anyway, letting the flop get checked though would suck. So the play may have been misapplied, so it may have not been so solid after all (I misread the hand). His move would denote more strength if u raised preflop and then he checkraises u on the flop.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:59 AM

Very easy flop fold. In a 3 handed, unraised, small pot, why would the BB not lead any pair or certainly a draw hoping to take it down? He will have you beat here most of the time and will have a solid draw the rest of the time. The more interesting question is what to do if he led the flop.

oh, and raise preflop. The $50 shouldnt worry you(if youre correctly playing these stakes), but the pot is $60 when it is on you to call, so you have to be right much more often than when the pot is bigger.