Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 06:03 AM

Default Folding on the river

I almost never fold HU to a river bet in stud. Especially if the pot exceeds 6 big bets. I'll call down with unimproved aces or kings or whatever every time on the river. Is this a leak?

I usually get away from hands before 6th street, but if I'm in on the river, I'll call. I've been seeing so many folds HU on the river in pots exceeding 10 big bets that I'm starting to wonder...
Old 08-30-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Folding on the river

I think this is basically fine, but there was a pretty good discussion of this not too long ago that you should search for. I believe it was called something like "Always call if you can beat their board?". I'm too lazy to find it for you, but shouldn't be TOO hard to find.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:26 PM

i think a lot of the folds on the river in a 10BB pot are busted draws. There is no way I am going to call a bet with A high (even though that sometimes is enough to win in low limits).
I think folding on the river is partially player dependant. If the guy is a clear whacko I will always call.
Another important point is if anyone calls in between. If you are sitting there with unimproved Qs and someone bets and you get 2 callers, there is almost no way your hand will hold up.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Another important point is if anyone calls in between. If you are sitting there with unimproved Qs and someone bets and you get 2 callers, there is almost no way your hand will hold up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think cowboy is talking about heads up
Old 08-30-2005, 07:00 PM

this is fine. As far as river play goes, you want to be more concerned with value betting more hands on the river.. Cause everyone calls.

I've made a couple of huge calls recently. One with a pair of fives in a 12 big bet pot. I figured there was a chance my opponent was also on a draw, and he was.. I won!

--NeverBeenBluffed

Where's Carlos?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:40 PM

Calling with unimproved aces and kings can be wrong if you suspect they are improving, but yeah, if you've hit the river, you should be calling damn near every time since the pot odds are usually too great to fold.

As someone said in this month's Card Player magazine, (I am paraphrasing) "Making tough folds on the river isn't the way to win money in limit poker."
Old 08-31-2005, 02:59 AM

It's mostly about read. I think Chip Reese says in his stud section of SS1 that if you have an opponent whose river betting/calling requirements you know perfectly, and they never mix it up--you have a friend for life.

In the case below, my super LAG-y opponent was prone to fire on the river with almost anything.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.50 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.35 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (4.35 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

River - (6.35 BB)

Hero: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets

Total pot: (8.35 BB)

Results:
Total pot $16.70 | Rake $0.75

Hero: [8d 7s 7d 6h 2d Qd Jc] (a pair of Sevens)

Seat 7: [Qc 4s 5h 6d Td Js Ks] (high card King)
Old 08-31-2005, 10:23 PM

I call on the river too, if only for the good of society.