Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Interesting preflop question.

Villian raises utg. His hand range includes: 88+, ATo+, KQo+, ATs+.

You are UTG +1.

What hands do you 3 bet with?

Here is the interesting question, Why this range?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Interesting preflop question.

depends on his play postflop, how many players are at the table, and how loose the blinds are.

also does he ALWAYS raise any hand in that range UTG?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian raises utg. His hand range includes: 88+, ATo+, KQo+, ATs+.

You are UTG +1.

What hands do you 3 bet with?

Here is the interesting question, Why this range?

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont see what is interesting. its a math question. according to you he raises 9.2% of his hands UTG. therefore you reraise TT+ AQs and AK/AKs because that gives you an edge over his range.

i dont see what is interesting.

Barron
Old 09-09-2005, 05:52 PM

He wants to know why you chose TT+ and not JJ+. etc.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He wants to know why you chose TT+ and not JJ+. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

its because of his position and the range that is profitable for 3 bets vs. his range. JJ+ loses some EV that you gain from TT. TT to 99 however even in position is difficult to play vs. a raiser with that range b/c any overcards are bad and they are more likelyt o fall to 99 than TT

AQs again, gives a nice edge over his range as with AKs/AKo

Barron
Old 09-09-2005, 06:31 PM

Probably a similar range to villain because he's got a low raising threshold and I want to make it expensive for anyone else to come in. Occasionally I might 3-bet down to mid pockets (like 55+) because if an Ace doesn't flop, he can get in a mess with an AK/AQ/AJ/AT that misses-but it requires a good read on villain.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably a similar range to villain because he's got a low raising threshold and I want to make it expensive for anyone else to come in. Occasionally I might 3-bet down to mid pockets (like 55+) because if an Ace doesn't flop, he can get in a mess with an AK/AQ/AJ/AT that misses-but it requires a good read on villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

too loose.

Barron
Old 09-09-2005, 06:49 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] The point I am making is that UTG is too loose and I can therefore try to isolate and pick up the blinds with a lower reraise threshold than normal. I wonder if this is what OP was suggesting was interesting. Sure, the standard play is to only reraise when your range exceeds that of the first poster, which gives you an overlay (which is what you suggested) and if people behind think you're rocky and tight then they will fold their AQo when you have them beat.

I want them to fold their AQo when I don't have them beat.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The point I am making is that UTG is too loose and I can therefore try to isolate and pick up the blinds with a lower reraise threshold than normal. I wonder if this is what OP was suggesting was interesting. Sure, the standard play is to only reraise when your range exceeds that of the first poster, which gives you an overlay (which is what you suggested) and if people behind think you're rocky and tight then they will fold their AQo when you have them beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

this UTG is NOT too loose. 9% utg is not at all too loose. 88 and up ATo and up KQo...thats exactly my range but i also raise KQs and sometimes KJs. 3betting me personally w/ AQo is correct. but thats about the worse hand you should 3bet me with unles your name is NYPlayer or James [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

but overall once you cross 10% or so then AQo becomes a 3bet. doing it to this UTG raiser is correct if you add KQs and KJs but OP specified that range

Barron
Old 09-09-2005, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point I am making is that UTG is too loose and I can therefore try to isolate and pick up the blinds with a lower reraise threshold than normal. I wonder if this is what OP was suggesting was interesting. Sure, the standard play is to only reraise when your range exceeds that of the first poster, which gives you an overlay (which is what you suggested) and if people behind think you're rocky and tight then they will fold their AQo when you have them beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

this UTG is NOT too loose. 9% utg is not at all too loose. 88 and up ATo and up KQo...thats exactly my range but i also raise KQs and sometimes KJs. 3betting me personally w/ AQo is correct. but thats about the worse hand you should 3bet me with unles your name is NYPlayer or James [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

but overall once you cross 10% or so then AQo becomes a 3bet. doing it to this UTG raiser is correct if you add KQs and KJs but OP specified that range

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

OK maybe I am the rock UTG [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] as on a 10-handed table I'm folding ATo UTG and UTG+1, sometimes folding AJo UTG. I don't think peter_rus plays ATo from UTG, and he's no rock [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

UTG I'm at pfr of 7% or so, then 8% UTG+1 all the way to 17% at the button. Your sample size may be small but are you ahead with ATo UTG/+1?

I'm not sure we know what OP's interesting part is yet tho.