Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 04:11 AM

Default A 5/10 Hand Posted Against My Will...

Hey all,

5/10 on Stars. 3 good players and 6 fishies. EP limps, and I limp with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Folded to uber-fish in the BB, who goes all-in for $90 more. EP folds. So, it's $90 to me with $125 in the pot.

Call or fold? I don't think that this hand is worthy of much discussion, but a 2+2er has persuaded me to post it.

Thanks in advance.

ML4L
Old 07-31-2004, 04:17 AM

Default Re: A 5/10 Hand Posted Against My Will...

Uh, fold?
Old 07-31-2004, 07:51 AM

You play guud El Dialo Senor.
Old 07-31-2004, 04:19 AM

Fold unless you think you can make the best hand or can see the future. In that case, call.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:18 AM

The reason this is posted is because somehow ML4L seemed to think calling was indeed a viable option.

I thought it was a clear situation of big dog/slight favorite, with a heavy tilt in the big dog direction.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:25 PM

Default \"Results\"

Hey all,

Here's why posting this hand is kinda inane. Because it all comes down to a read. My read, based on watching this guy play, was that he could have one of two things: a pocket pair or complete garbage. If he has a pocket pair, I am a 2-1 dog. If he has non-ace garbage, I'm a 3-2 favorite. The pot is laying me 4-3. I guessed that he'll have garbage 1/3 of the time. Thus,

2/3 * 1/3 * $215 + 1/3 * 3/5 * $215 = $90.78

So, it really doesn't matter whether I call or fold, if my numbers are right. And they almost surely are not. But, neither would anyone else's be. Everyone else in the world can say fold, I can say call, and we can all be equally right or wrong. The fact is that it's close and that there is no definite right or wrong. The only important thing is to know how to arrive at a proper decision, which all of us already know how to do. Hence, inane thread.

Hmmm, this reply has been kinda pissy. I'll just blame it on the fact that I really didn't want to post the hand to begin with but didn't want to deal with the 2+2er's bitching...[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replies (and check out my other 5/10 hand from Saturday night; I promise that there is actual poker content...)

ML4L
Old 08-04-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: \"Results\"

In your equation you took into account if he has "non ace garbage" Which I am assuming you mean KJo or something. And you also take into account if he has 22 through KK pocket pairs. But your equation does not take into account A3 through AK or pocket aces (all of which you are a much bigger underdog to). I don't think its such a coinflip whether to call or not like you describe. You say the pot is laying you 4/3 - well do you have the best hand here 3 out of 7 times? Kind of doubt it.

*Edit* I understand that your equation is based on your read. But it is possible he is doing this with other hands.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:36 PM

when i saw chris moneymaker make a call of an all in with A2 against someone else, i wanted to cry.

against an uber fish, wait until you're a big favorite, dont push in large stacks on something that at best* you are a 60/40
Old 08-04-2004, 07:41 PM

Tournament play and cash play are entirely different. Why wait until you are 60-40 in a cash game? Why not take any +EV?
Old 08-05-2004, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tournament play and cash play are entirely different. Why wait until you are 60-40 in a cash game? Why not take any +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is of course true if you are definitely reloading if you go bust. If you are bankrolled properly, and are given the opportunity to take 60/40 every hand for all of the chips in front of you for the rest of your life, you should, well, go ahead and accept.

Because you are a favorite to make money, y'know?